+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thread

Default thread

when tying does all thread need to be waxed for all flies?

Blog Entries

No. I prefer Unwaxed myself.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

No you do not need to use wax. Some tyers use wax to aid in the dubbing process. Basically it helps the dubbing to stick to the thread. You can also use water as a substitue to using wax. I know a tyer who use unwaxed thread and has no problem getting the dubbing to adhere to the thread. There may be other reasons why wax is applied, but I cannot think of them offhand.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Lately I've been using a lot of Pearsall's tying silks and it should be waxed, especially to achieve the color the old timers sought.

In using regular thread, I prefer some lightly waxed. it seems to hold some materials (like elk hair for wings) better than unwaxed thread.

I use dubbing wax (I prefer BT's Dubbing Wax) when touch dubbing, but usually go without wax the rest of the time.

REE

I have read somewhere that the waxed thread can also clog up your bobbin holders tube. Can anyone verify that one?

I tend to steer clear of waxed thread for that reason, and only use a little wax that my sister bought for heavy dubbing - like when you need a fat body, etc...

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by jmeyerc View Post
    I have read somewhere that the waxed thread can also clog up your bobbin holders tube. Can anyone verify that one?

I tend to steer clear of waxed thread for that reason, and only use a little wax that my sister bought for heavy dubbing - like when you need a fat body, etc...
    Yep that can happen although I can't remember the last time I had to unclog a bobbin. Maybe that's because I now have WAY too many bobbins and no single bobbin gets all the use.

I have a Matterelli bobbin threader which has a bobbin threader on one end and a bobbin tube cleaner on the other. The bobbin cleaner is basically just a length of thin stiff wire that is pushed through. I like waxed thread for the aforementioned reasons and because I feel it frays less and behaves better. The wax really only accumulates at the bottom of the tube and I never found it to be an issue worthy of concern.

Deezel Guest

IN GENERAL my answer would be YES. Tying wax is different than dubbing wax and I'm speaking of tying wax. It protects the thread, allows the thread to better adhere to the hook, protects the hook and helps keep the materials in place.

Deezel

Jeanne, you can clean out a bobbin that has "waxy build-up" by running a small feather through the tube... not a problem
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Jeanne,

I can definately verify that one. I had one opr two bobbins so one was getting most of the use and it got so clogged up with wax before I realized that I could no longer thread the bobbin! It also left a funny color on my white thread, It was so stuck on it took quite a while to clean out!

That is probably an extreme case though, I have had this one bobbin for 2 years and had been using it constantly without cleaning it. I think the bobbin is just about out of life though, it is wearing a thread groove and the gold band at the top where the arms meet the tube is actually worn through from so much use. It is not a ceramic though.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

I definately didn't know that tying wax was different from dubbing wax, in fact i didn't realise that there was a tying wax that was different to dubbing wax.

that's what is so interesting about fly tying, you never stop learning about things. Great stuff!!

Thank you everyone
    Jeanne

+ Reply to Thread