+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low light Polorized Glasses

Default Low light Polorized Glasses

I got into a situation last night that started me thinking about this. Very cloudy prior to sunset. Skys clearing at sunset and I'm fishing with no eye protection when I can't see the fly! I normally use amber lenses and it was just too dark!
    I don't like the idea of carrying multiple glasses for different conditions (but will if I have too). I also cannot sell my soul to the devil to cover the cost as I've already done that for other gear!!
    Any suggestions/advise?

Jack, are you saying you want the glasses for eye protection?...if so I recommend clear lenses....polycarbonate....check out the shooting sections ...they don't have to cost much.

Jack; Nothing I hate, MORE usually, than the "As seen on TV" merchandise. But, wouldn't ya' know it.......... when fishing with a "As seen on TV addict", (I think he carries a Ron Popeil veggie slicer in his vest, just for lunch time), he pulls out a pair of these "Blue Blockers", sunglasses. (assssssssss seen on TV, of course!).

I watched him a while, (this was about a half hour, before complete darkness and raining), and he could tie on #20s, watch his fly as if it were high noon, etc.!???
    So, I came up with some lame excuse to borrow them from him and, well............ I now own, 3 pair. One for driving, (clip ons, as I wear prescription glasses too), a pair in my 'Toon and one pair in my vest. All, clip ons. Of course, they make "regular", for those that don't need the clip ons.

I've seen the ads, on TV, for these and supposedly they "block out certain blue and red rays of light, (that are about what polarized glasses do), but do it, with a fairly light tinted amber lens. They are NOT POLARIZED, so they're no good for seeing into the water, but across the water, watching a fly, and.or, indicator, etc. I was really amazed at how they worked!?!

I've even worn them at night, against bright headlights,without any real "loss of safe vision, wearing sunglasses at night", type of problem.

I paid $7.95 ea, for my clip ons. I think, the regular style sunglasses are like $12.95.
    Might work!?
    Last edited by flybinder; 01-12-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For about the last 5 or 6 years I've been wearing a pair of amber colored, polarized sunglasses that I bought from Cabelas for about $50. They are glass lenses so they do not scratch if tossed in your pocket. It's got to be pretty darn dark for me to not be able to see with them, as they "enhance" available light during times of low light. I checked their website and looked at the 188 pairs of sunglasses they have for sale, but the style is no longer there (Duh!).

From what I understand, the amber color is ideal for what you are looking for.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

The shooting or yellow tint glasses are good suggestions. Many of the makers that target anglers offer yellow polarized lenses. I have a pair that I use for fishing in the fog.

I have photochromatic copper polarized lense glasses from Action Optics and photo chromatic copper/rose that have worked quite well for me in low light conditions. Other manufacturers have similar lenses.

Action Optics also has a wide range of lowlight and photochromatic (light adjusting) lenses, some of which block as little as 2% of the light. They have a photo brown lense that transmits 15-40% which is great for med to low light conditions.

i bought a pair of optical quality non-prescription polaized sunglasses from COSTCO for the price of their frame plus 2 cents.....................yes, I was charged 1 penny each for the lense. how can yo go wrong?

Paul (the confused, but by no means a Saint)

They now make the Blue Blockers in Polorized! I will order a pair, Pair? Why is it a pair of eyeglasses? I mean can I buy just one? Would that only cover one eye?

Anyway, thanks for the help I'll let you know how they work should they ever let me out.

"I will order a pair, Pair? Why is it a pair of eyeglasses? I mean can I buy just one? Would that only cover one eye? "

Well, jack, your above question is of course "age old". Along the same lines as "A PAIR of pants". Or, worse..........."Why is "bra" singular and yet "panties" is PLURAL?"
    I, of course, have NO idea. I'd ask Doug, but I don't need, and/or, want a migraine.

As for the glasses....... I didn't know, they now came polarized, which will make them ever better! I hope they work for you, as well as they have for me, in low light conditions. (And, in both night time and day time driving in fog!)
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Jack, did you see the yellow lenses that I was wearing last Thursday evening? They block UV A and B. They are safety glasses that I picked up at Lowe's for $15, so they should protect my eyes from stray flies. They also make it easier to see in the twilight, up to a point.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I'll make a trip to Lowe's today.

+ Reply to Thread