+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ribbing flies?

Default Ribbing flies?

Whern I use a dubbing loop or a dubbing brush to make the bodies, or rope dub the body, I don't use any wire to rib.

Do you do this or do you rib all of them?

Rick

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Yea, Rick I do it about the same. I rib 'em for a little extra flash, or to add weight sometimes. With a loop, or a brush or rope dub, the body seems to be tough enough to last awhile without ribbing. My opinion ..........ModocDan

I tend to still rib unless I'm using a dubbing brush I have made myself...in that case they more durable IMO than any other way... since they are twisted with wire..... the wire adds weight....and usually the dubbing I've made myself and have added some sort of flash....frequently ice dub.

Depends on the fly.

I won't use a ribbing if it's fly that I've substitued a wire cored brush for the dubbing/rib combo. Does the same job, so I don't need it.

If I'm tying a fly where the segmentation look is desired, then I'll use some type of ribbing to get that, regardless of what method I use to get the body.

I like the look of a rib, it's pretty, gives a place to add some color, segmentation, or flash, and it can help with durability. But I'm basically lazy, so unless I see a sure benefit from a fish attracting standpoint, I just don't bother with it.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Maybe yes, maybe no!

Rick,

It really depends how the spirit moves me. Sometimes I rib flies and sometimes I don't. There is really no rhyme or reason to it. On one hand, I believe that ribbing is good because it makes the fly more durable, adds a little flash and sometimes helps to give the appearance of segmented body. On the other hand, I've become somewhat of a minimalist in my fly tying endeavors. Since I fish fast, free-stone water, most fish don't get much of a look at the fly and fail to fully appreciate the accoutrements I have added. Ribbing looks nice but I don't think the fish care. In warm water situations, I think that ribbing matters even less if you discount the durability issue. Just my 2% of a dollar, I'm sure others will disagree! 8T

I'm with Buddy on this one.

Unless I feel the need for it, I usually don't. The logs, trees and rocks really couldn't care less, and the fish agree with them. I rib if I feel like making it pretty, or I really want segmentation, or I feel it will help the fly last longer. Then again, I have so few flies that last long enough to fall apart that I seldom worry about that one.

I say, to each his own.
    Don Rolfson

Blog Entries

Ya, I'll rib 'em most of the time...Its not about durability..its more about adding weight for me
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

If the pattern calls for ribbing, I rib. Otherwise, usually not.

Default Ribbing flies

Even with a dubbing brush I rib. It may be with the tying thread or x-small wire, but it's still there. I think it adds to the durability and if wire is used adds just a little flash. I try and keep it small to not add too much weight. If I need weight, I used non lead wire as a base. Lately I've been very careful to use the weighting wire on just the bottom of the hook shaft and hold it on with crazy glue. Too many wraps of wire to start with makes for a fat un-natural fly IMHO. Keeping the weight wire on the bottom of the shaft tends to help the fly not flop over and present wrong most of the time.

+ Reply to Thread