+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontoon boat and this current

Default Pontoon boat and this current

Hi Everyone - I would like to know if you feel a pontoon boat could handle this current. Here is a link to a video.

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/r-drover1/Index.html

The rock stands about 70 feet out from the guy in the video. This is very remote so weight is always a factor. What would anyone suggest? Pontoon, Kayak?? Maneuvering into the current will be required. inflatable a must.
    Thanks

Dont know about anyone else but that video/picture (whichever it is) will not play on my machine.?

Here either.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

It played on my Mac for about 40 seconds, then the pic disappeared. Anyway, the pontoon will get you there with no problem, but I'm not sure what you're going to do when you get there. How do you plan to anchor to the rock, and are you going to fish from the toon or get out and wade? What is the attraction to the rock, other than you not being able to fish around it from where you're standing in the video?

Personally, I would not put myself in a position where i don't feel very safe around water... especially just to catch a fish! Fast water, snotty rocks and unsure footing keep this old man away from situations like that. They make for nice pictures, but also make for significant opportunities for danger.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Hi everyone and thanks so much for your quick replies. The file is an AVI and should load into Window Explorer. I have added another link that will open it in Windows Media Player instead, its about 40 seconds long in total.

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/r-drover1/Index.html

My plan is to land and do all my fishing from the rock, the lower side of the rock has an awsome pool where salmon hold.

Thanks

Normand Guest

anchoring in moving water is probably an accident waiting to happen. good luck.

So based on the responses, manovering to and from cross current could be handled by a pontoon. Again becoming familiar with the boat and how it reacts will be just as important. My plan is to land on the rock and fishing from the rock. I do not plan to anchor in the current rather landing on the eddy side of the rock.

Now that I have established that a pontoon can perform this task I am looking for any suggestions on poonton products. Something mid value.

cheers

I've used my Creek Co. #850 in lots of white water fishing, It comes with, and fits into, it's own backpack along with its oars, pump, etc.
    It's white water rated, light, (47 pounds), and easy to handle.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gobrock View Post
    So based on the responses, manovering to and from cross current could be handled by a pontoon. Again becoming familiar with the boat and how it reacts will be just as important. My plan is to land on the rock and fishing from the rock. I do not plan to anchor in the current rather landing on the eddy side of the rock.

Now that I have established that a pontoon can perform this task I am looking for any suggestions on poonton products. Something mid value.

cheers
    Once you maneuver into the eddy/pool, anchor the toon and perch yourself upon the rock like the Statue of Liberty or Washington crossing the Patomac, you will have not only put yourself in significant danger, but probably trashed the pool for any reasonable fishing. Sounds like an upcoming episode of Americas Funniest Home Videos. Be sure to have a cameraman at the ready when you strike out on your adventure. We'd like to see how it goes for you. I hope I'm wrong...for your sake.

BTW, how old are you? This sounds like something my 20 year old nephew would do to impress his girlfriend.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe's right......... if you manage to cheat the inevitable fate.... Salmon are lots smarter than we'd ever hope to be and there won't BE ONE within 1 mile of that rock, once you stir things up with a boat, oaring, getting to the rock and if the Gods are with you......... getting ONTO the rock.
    You also, unless you're going to "claim it as a new country" and stay there, get OFF the rock again and being around 'Toon boats for many years, getting back onto one, shy of wading out in shallow water, sitting down and getting comfy............ chances are you're going to go swimming. Don't forget a good, tight, chest belt on your waders.
    And, since the fish aren't going to be anywhere a 90' fly line can reach them I'd take along a deck of cards, too, so you can pass the two days until the pool quiets down again.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread