+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quote for 1-10

Default quote for 1-10

From Allan Fish
    "My mere presence has spoiled the fishing in half dozen states."

Art Sheck Warmwater Fly Fishing Magazine (199

Rick

Dang! I resemble that remark!!!! I can back it up too... ask DRolfson... he hasn't caught a fish since I moved to Nebraska!!!

Rick, pray I don't cross over into Iowa from Omaha!!!

I am not worried about you SKershaw. I have anglerdave here and he caught fish.

Rick

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SKershaw View Post
    Dang! I resemble that remark!!!! I can back it up too... ask DRolfson... he hasn't caught a fish since I moved to Nebraska!!!

Rick, pray I don't cross over into Iowa from Omaha!!!

What do you mean!?!?!? I caught them ones right off the stocker truck!

mutters; "stupid fish" and wanders off aimlessly. . . .
    Don Rolfson

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by drolfson View Post
    What do you mean!?!?!? I caught them ones right off the stocker truck!

mutters; "stupid fish" and wanders off aimlessly. . . .
    Don,
    Was this the spot?;
    http://www.billsaiffoutdoors.com/saiff/IMG_2279-300.jpg
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock View Post
    Don,
    Was this the spot?;
    http://www.billsaiffoutdoors.com/saiff/IMG_2279-300.jpg
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Close Doug, Close.

Better Picture here: http://www.sparkbark.com/details.html The last two.

The Fish and Game dude had put a net of about 15 bows in the hole right in the bend there on the right side of the picture.
    Don Rolfson

Don,
    The Hatchery Truck just pulled over and dumped the trout into the bend of the river? I think out here, Trucks back down boat ramps, most of the time. Of course we also have a few trout dropped by aircraft.
    Do you think they were left over trout that the hatchery had?
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Doug;

The Fish Rearing Station was about 200 yards upstream from us utilizing the wonderfully naturally regulated spring water that creates that stream. It is one of two cold water fish rearing stations in Nebraska if I remember correctly. I do not know where they get the fry from, but they raise them here.

We spoke to the gentleman that was doing the stoking for a good half hour just after he dropped the fish off at this spot and they have a large tank with a wide mouth in the back of the truck. (Dodge pickup.) He said that every couple of weeks they drive to certain spots on the stream and with a large net, scoop a bunch of fish out of the truck and deposit them in the stream. It amounts to bout 2000 trout every few months according to their stocking reports. He said that during the summer and fall, the trout were around 9 inches when stocked, but into the winter and spring they would have grown to 12+ inches. He explained that there were certain 'holes' that were easy for them to drive up adjacent to with the truck and then with a net full of fish to walk into for the planting, so they generally went to these same spots regularly while doing this.

It sounded like they get a batch of fry in the spring, which they raise for the fall and winter plantings. It was quite interesting to talk to him. We disccussed how they have people come up and camp and fish all weekend and then stop into the rearing station to complain that there are no fish in the stream and why didn't they fix it, while a number of 'regulars' would be seen during the same time periods catching fish.

It is a really interesting fishing area. The public has access to approximately 2 sections of ground through which the spring creek runs. It twists and turns so much that in the mile that Scott and I fished that day, we covered a good 150 yards in a straight line. It has a sandy bottom and is generally about 4 feet wide. It runs fairly fast and gets probably 5-6 feet deep in some holes. (Maybe more, but my waders ain't that tall!) If you stand too long, the water will wash the sand out from under your feet and you find yourself sinking. It has some deep undercut banks. The water is crystal clear and the fish are very spooky.

Once I was fishing over a bush to a small pod of fish when a couple of bends upstream another fisherman hopped into the water. I watched as the sand he disturbed floated down to where the fish I was after were holding. As soon as that floating sand hit their hole, they disappeared under the bank and were no longer interested in anything I was offering.

I really wish it were closer so I could spend the time to fugure out the fishery. It is much more complex than I imagined after my first few visits.
    Don Rolfson

Don,
    You being a fly fisher helps you look at the fish holding spots better than the bait fishers. It sounds like the Stocker guys have an intimate knowledge of likely spots to deposit the trout. Do they ever stock brown trout?
    Doug

They have quit stocking Brown trout for sometime. He says a few still hang in there (he's right cause we saw some!).

My goal this year (200Ate) is to catch one, hopefully a few! Don and I don't have a problem with the rainbows (they are kind dingy!) The Browns are EDUMUCATED goodly! Supposedly the few that are in there still come up the creek to the headwaters for the spawn in the spring... Maybe I will see one then!

Scott

+ Reply to Thread