+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grand Opening "surprise"

Default Grand Opening "surprise"

Cabela's just opened it's store in Hoffman Estates, Cook County Illinois and is now being threatened with a proposed ordinance banning the sale of firearms within the county. Tod Stroger, Cook County board president ( THE definition of useless nepotism) wants to further assure that only criminals have guns and that the law abiding citizenry be unable to protect themselves if they so choose. The big sting is that Cabela's was given certain incentives to locate here. None of these incentives, however, could possibly offset the loss of revenue that firearm sales generate for them. Without the added dimension of a superb firearms department, Cabela's just falls in line with the sporting goods big box stores. Cabela's is an "outfitter" and by that description is a supplier of EVERYTHING for the outdoor enthusiast.
    Stroger's contention is that banning sales of firearms will make the county "safer". Chicago's mayor Daley banned not only sales but made it unlawful to even possess firearms within the city ostensibly for the same reason. And now the city is completely safe. On cold days in hell, one can safely walk anywhere, even after dark.
    Cabela's is getting a real raw deal here and is circulating a petition of support for it's continued ability to sell firearms at retail. I gladly signed that petition.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Chicago's mayor Daley banned not only sales but made it unlawful to even possess firearms within the city ostensibly for the same reason. And now the city is completely safe. On cold days in hell, one can safely walk anywhere, even after dark.
    Washington D.C. comes to mind. I think they just fell out of the #1 spot for murder capitol of the U.S. BTW, their anti law is being contested by the Supremes. If it doesn't stand, it will effect other municipalities.
    Actually I think D.C.'s gun law was struck down and they are going before the court to try and have it reinstated.

Surprise?

Give Cabela's a little credit for scouting the territory before they began construction. Or did Bass Pro outguessed them when they located in Bollingbrook in a different county equally near to Chicago.

Since this is a fly fishing site, guns are an interesting tangent though they are not essential to our sport. But this does bring up an interersting question of whether a top rate Fishing Tackle Merchant should need gun revenue to keep its head above water.

Besides, If you have been around Chicago long enough, you know that there is a lot of smoke in politics city and suburban. How likely is that to happen anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear742 View Post
    Since this is a fly fishing site, guns are an interesting tangent though they are not essential to our sport. But this does bring up an interersting question of whether a top rate Fishing Tackle Merchant should need gun revenue to keep its head above water.
    I stand with Marco on this one. The fallacy that removing guns from the general population will make a city safer is pure bunk. I will digress from additional comments because we are discouraged from speaking of politics on this forum. Suffice to say that if politicians were as smart as they lead us to believe, they should be in private industry or private practice where the salaries are many times those of public employees. If they are so "altruistic," why do they exempt themselves from the laws they impose on us? I would think they should be in the ministry or the convent if they were so concerned with our well-being.

Did I say too much?

Joseph the Opinionated

I believe in the right to keep & bear arms.
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 01-08-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I stand with Marco on this one. The fallacy that removing guns from the general population will make a city safer is pure bunk. I will digress from additional comments because we are discouraged from speaking of politics on this forum. Suffice to say that if politicians were as smart as they lead us to believe, they should be in private industry or private practice where the salaries are many times those of public employees. If they are so "altruistic," why do they exempt themselves from the laws they impose on us? I would think they should be in the ministry or the convent if they were so concerned with our well-being.

Did I say too much?

Joseph the Opinionated

I believe in the right to keep & bear arms.
    Right on, brother! I with you and Marco. If you are an average citizen you cannot carry a firearm into our state capital complex however, members of the general assembly are allowed to do so.

It was mentioned that Cabela's is an "Outfitter" not just a big box sporting goods store. From Merriam Webster; Outfitter: one that outfits: as a: haberdasher b: a business providing equipment, supplies, and often trained guides (as for hunting trips); also : a guide working for such an outfitter
    '
    Fishing and camping tips too.

+ Reply to Thread