+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Recommendations?

Default Any Recommendations?

I am looking forward to starting fly fishing this spring and I was hoping if you guys can give me some recommendations on a good fly rod and reel combo. Something between 90-$150. By the way great board.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Yes , there is a Scientific American Combo at Wal Mart for around $70.00 that is a very good deal for a beginner. I comes with rod, reel, line , backing and leader. Judging from prior posts on here, It casts very well for an outfit that is under $100.00. I got one and am very pleased with it.
    It comes in a 6wt Rod and line.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Welcome! We really need to know what type of water you will be fishing and for what species.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Default Choice

Pedram,
    First of all, an UNofficial welcome to FAOl. In reference to your inquiry, SEEK NEAREST SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. You will shortly be pummeled with helpful responses.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by HCR View Post
    Welcome! We really need to know what type of water you will be fishing and for what species.
    Oh ya forgot to tell ya that. I am generally going to fish for stream trout(non-migratory), panfish and largemouths. I was thinking 5 or 6 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedram View Post
    Oh ya forgot to tell ya that. I am generally going to fish for stream trout(non-migratory), panfish and largemouths. I was thinking 5 or 6 wt.

For a fly rod in your price range I would suggest a White River Hobbs Creek in 5 or 6 wt.

You can get this rod combo at Bass Pro Shop. The combo comes complete with rod, reel, backing, WF fly line and leader.

I just started fly fishing in July of 07 and have already bought 2 of these rods one in 6wt and one in 8wt.

I have also bought a 4wt Whit River Classic Combo it runs just under $200.00 complete
    Remember we all live down stream

Quote Originally Posted by Pedram View Post

For a fly rod in your price range I would suggest a White River Hobbs Creek in 5 or 6 wt.

You can get this rod combo at Bass Pro Shop. The combo comes complete with rod, reel, backing, WF fly line and leader.

I just started fly fishing in July of 07 and have already bought 2 of these rods one in 6wt and one in 8wt.

I have also bought a 4wt Whit River Classic Combo it runs just under $200.00 complete

Oh and welcome to the board
    Remember we all live down stream

I won't offer any suggestions, because you'll be getting enough of them, I'm sure!
    But, I DID want to welcome you to FAOL!
    There's nothing, in the obsession of fly fishing, that you won't be able to learn here, (save for pure on-water experience of course), so "ask away" and enjoy yourself!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have to say Gnu Bee Flyer is right on the money. I had one for 2 years, my son has had one for 3 years one of my friends has had one for about 3 years also. they are a complete outfit for abut $70.00 and work just fine. Get some casting lessons from someone buy or learn to tie a few basic flies and you are in business.
    Oh yea forgot to mention: If you are married take a good look at your spouse and convince them to sign a prenup. Visit your friends and remember what they look like, Take everything you own and say bye bye cause you are about to enter the zone called fly fishing and you will become so wraped up in it that all other life will no longer matter ROTFLMAO WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION AND THE FAMILY OF FAOL

nighthawk Guest

Smile Welcome!!

Pedram,
    Welcome to the board! I'll put in a third on the Wal-Mart Scientific Angler's combo. Some of the ones I saw at our local Wal-Mart even had a small selection of flies. In addition to the flies and rod combo you should pick up a bottle of floatant for your dry flies, SA and Loon make good, inexpensive floatants, and some line dressing/cleaner.

Jerry Brumfield, a.k.a. Dotman, sells a line treatment called ZipCast. I think it is the best product out there for cleaning and treating your line. You can also get fly reel dots off of him here:

http://flyreeldots.com/

+ Reply to Thread