+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your top smallmouth flies.

Janus, I have one smallie fly that I have not heard mentioned here. It's the Chicago Leech. I tie it a couple of ways. Both in size 10 2xlong hook. Black thread, gold bead head, black marabou tail with some Chartreuse krystal flash. Body of either black leech thread, or UV Ice Dub in Olive/black. Brush the body out to make it shaggy and comb up and back. Really works. javascript://PDF/Flies/chicago_leech.pdf This link will tkae you to a recipe with photos and instructions.

For Smallies, my go to fly is a Puke Fly.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Default Great Book

The book "Fly Fishing Warm Water Rivers" by Joesph D. Cornwall is, in my opinion, a well written publication that covers a myriad of information on fishing for smallies. Included are patterns for smallmouth flies.

I highly recommend you get a copy of this book.

Tim

Top water I like Sneaky Pete style flies. Fluorescent Yellow plus the colors below. I tie them 1 1/2 to 3 inches long.

Subsurface various bait fish patterns, 1 1/2 to 3 inches long

OK,
    My SmallMouth fly is this:
    Size 8 Mustad streamer hook (ref:9672)
    5-7 gold glass beads all the way to the hook eye.
    At the bend use black thread and tie in some Yellow squirrel tail.
    That?s it.
    Let the fly sink and use small strips to bring it in.
    Eric

Wow thanks for all the suggestions..really appreciate it.
    Janus

Lil Bugger, Brown over Tan or Black on Black....can't be beat...send a PM, I send a few size 10's and you can send your favorite tie.

RAW shops (and fishes) where I do and YEP the Mallard will produce well.

The lil bugger is fished like a nymph...constant, Ohio producer, will also fool Pannies, Crappies, Trout and LM's!

This past season, my most productive smallmouth fly, was the Foxee Red Clouser. Basically you are tying a Clouser but using red fox tail for the wing. I had my best luck with a #8.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Funny how those big fish hit the little flies as well as the water gurgling, big, topwater fare???

Default Bass Fly...

I've been tying bass flies over the past few weeks, and my favourite is a simplified version of a sparkle grub. I tie it just like a wooly bugger on a #6 streamer hook, and it's very easy.

Tie in a set of 1/60 oz. (or whatever you wish) nickel plated dumbell eyes near the eye of the hook (you can add wraps of lead wire behind the eyes for extra weight...I usually do). Now, tie in a brown marabou tail with three strands of root beer crystal flash on either side of the tail. Now, tie in a length of root beer estaz, cactus chenille, or whatever the heck it's called, as you would for a wooly bugger. Advance the thread to just behind the hook eye. Wrap the estaz forward, tie off, and whip finish. No need for hackle. By the way, the estaz can be medium or large.

If you're sight fishing for smallies in a river, cast it out in front of a bass, let the fly sink, and work it slowly across the bottom. If it lands anywhere close to a hungry bass, the fish will take it before you have to work it!

This fly catches me a ton of bass every year (I would say hundreds) and I've taken smallies exceeding 21 inches on this fly! I also use it in white and black.

Cheers,
    Andrew

+ Reply to Thread