+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does 5/6 mean?

Default What does 5/6 mean?

Hi all--just joined and this is my first post.

Does the 5/6 marking on old fiberglass rods mean 5 WF and 6 DT? Seems I read that somewhere.

All it means is that that rod is designed to cast a 5 or 6 wt line.

Kevin

Wink

and/or what Kevin said
    and
    Welcome HCR, Wherever you're from and whoever you are and whatever you fish for...put something more in your profile to help us get to know you better. We are a genuinely friendly group except for a few salt water pirates from Ohio...
    Glad you could make it.
    mcsteff

Quote Originally Posted by HCR View Post
    Hi all--just joined and this is my first post.

Does the 5/6 marking on old fiberglass rods mean 5 WF and 6 DT? Seems I read that somewhere.
    HCR,

First, welcome to FAOL. You will find answers here for virtually any questions you might have relative to fly fishing & fly tying. If we don't have an answer for you, we'll surely make up a lie to save face. (just kidding...sometimes).

Personally, I have a problem with any fly rod that has a dual rating on it. I wonder to myself if, in your case, its a "heavy 5 weight rod," or is it a "light 6 weight rod?" I think these are freaks of the fly rod community whose design did not fit into the industry standard of a single weight classification. Generally (not always), these 5/6 wt rods are beginner rods that are lower priced to get someone started into fly fishing. They fish just fine, but do not fit into a single weight range.

WF on a fly line means "Weight Forward," and DT means "Double Taper." For a detailed explanation of both and their application, go to http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.html for a good article right here on the site (See, I told you we had all the answers!"

If you have one of these 5/6 rods you can usually put the heavier line on it (6 wt) and get better performance from it than with the lighter (5 wt) line. Either way, you'll still have a rod that you can learn with.

Have fun and ask questions often.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

If you just cast the first 30 feet of line, the WF5 might be a bit quicker (small dry flies). The DT6 would be slower (weighted nymphs or streamers).
    If you can cast 50 to 60 feet of line, you will find the DT5 and the WF6 start to weigh about the same. The front of the WF6 is heavier but it skinnies down to running line then. The DT5 front does weigh less than the WF6, but the whole line stays big for a really long way. Kinda evens out th overall weight thing. Actually the rod will probably handle a WF5, WF6, DT5, DT6 just fine. How you like a rod to feel when you cast will determine which.

HCR I think the question you posted has been answered very well so all I have to add is welcome to the board. I too am a new fly fisherman, been doing it for about 6 months and most of what I have learned about fly fishing has been learned through this board and fishing with some of the fine folks here.

If you have any questions about this great sport feel free to ask as I am sure someone here will have the correct answer, and remember the only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

Tight Lines and Screaming Drags

Tim
    Remember we all live down stream

HCR-
    Guess you've had your rod question, answered pretty well, so like Scubatim said, "Welcome to the group"!
    I'd also, suggest you fill out your profile a tad bit further.

Don't worry......... just because you may put down, "where you live, age, type of fish, fished for, whatever"............ we don't use that against anyone, or "slot file" anyone, into any category, it just helps a lot when getting to know one another!

Of course, SOME MEMBERS, on this fine site, we've learned TOO MUCH about, such as Joe V. that posted above, wears "Tidy Whites" and ScubaTim, up there too, wears a leopard thong. Now, THAT'S a bit more than any of us, wanted to know. But, ya' take the good with the bad, when you have good friends!!?!!

Enjoy, FAOL........................great people, great information and good fun.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Looks like you got your answer. Just wanted to welcome you aboard!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Fiberglass

If the 5/6 rating on it bothers you at all, I will take that rod off your hands...

Default Welcome

Welcome to ya HCR, and you do have to watch out for the pirates around here. Now ya don't have to worry about us Wyoming pirates, a, I mean cowboys, we won't be of no bother to ya at all.

Welcome aboard a most addictive sight.
    Wyo-Blizzard

+ Reply to Thread