+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Started

Default Getting Started

I'm going to take a couple fly tying classes in February. The guy teaching the class suggested the following. Does this sound about right?
    Vice
    Scissors (good ones)
    2 bobbins
    Black and Tan thread (size 6/0 whatever that is)
    Heavier black thread for larger flies
    head cement
    bodkin
    hackle pliers

does this list sound about right?

Am I heading down a hopeless path of destruction and abject poverty with yet another addiction?

Also, any recommendations on what to get in these items? I'm not wanting to spend a fortune, but I also want good gear that is going to last and hold up well. Also, in the unlikely event I just hate tying flies, I can always sell good stuff but cheap stuff just ends up in the trash.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff,

If it was the instructor that suggested these tools specifically, it was probably because the course he teaches would involve tying flies that required these basics. If there is a chance you won't like tying, stick pretty much with what he has suggested. If it ends up you like tying, then build off of that.

Just an opinion.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hi Jeff, The two items you want the most qulity in are your vise and scissors. As you get to know fly tying, they will become your friends. There are many vise and scissor manufacturers out there, but the ones found in most starter kits are fairly good and will do you well till you find what you like. Check Cabela's and our sponsors for these. Also, it won't be long before you want a good hair stacker...........ModocDan
    ..........................................welcome to the addiction, Bro........

On suggestion for the vice and tools would be BT's Rotary Tying Station. BT's Fly Fishing is an FAOL sponsor.

www.btsflyfishing.com/catalog/page4-5.htm

Has everything you need tools wise except the 2nd bobbin.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up starting out

Add to that list a whip finisher. ( Matarelli)
    The scissors definately should be quality, crappy scissors suck to tie with. (Might want to get a cheap pair for cutting wire and heavy things.)

As for a vice, a lot of people really like a danvise which would be a good vice to start out on. As well as if you don't like tying and want to sell it then a Danvice is easy to sell again. ( I personally like my Anvil Apex vise, which is not much more $ than the danvise.)

Hackle pliers, I would suggest going down to radio shack and grabbing some mini test clips. They are cheap and hold hackle very well. Mostly though hackle pliers are a matter of personal preference. you might wanna try a few in your hand at the fly shop if you can to see which style you like. I like a rotary hackle plier from Dr.slick. But Im sure others like the test clips, or teardrop style hackle pliers. Quality brands, Dr.slick, anvil, griffin, and many more but you get the idea. I really like Dr.slick myself.

Bobbins, Ceramic is not nessecary. I dont own any ceramic bobbins..yet. But I have gotten a LOT of use out of my regular non ceramic bobbin and it is still not grooved. I would recommend that until you decide you really like tying to just get the non ceramic bobbin.

Head cement, can basically be just Sally Hansens Hard as Nails, Loctite brush on superglue. They work fine.

As far as a bodkin goes, you can make your own out of a piece of dowel with a small hole drilled in it and a sewing needle glued inside. Voila instant bodkin.

Thread is preference as well. I love Uni thread, others danville, others like gudebrod or wapsi and on and on. There are no Bad threads out there, But coming from me I would recommend Uni thread.
    As for the heavier thread I would recommend just getting size 3/0. The sizes are clearly labeled on the spools.

Here is a link to the radio shack hackle Pliers: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Anyways, Hope it helps!!
    Good Luck!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

1 it sounds like a good basic tool set,

2 Yes your heading down the path to addiction

Read the beginnig tying section here on FAOL Al Campbell had great advice on tools and vices. Buy from your local dealer, look for mid priced tools. or go to one of the sponsors of faol.

If I was starting out I would buy the BT's Rotary Tying Station from BT's who are sponsors here, it comes with a Danvise, and the tools you need. Its all $150.

Eric

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Wink Hope you have a healthy bank account....

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    Am I heading down a hopeless path of destruction and abject poverty with yet another addiction?

Also, any recommendations on what to get in these items? I'm not wanting to spend a fortune, but I also want good gear that is going to last and hold up well. Also, in the unlikely event I just hate tying flies, I can always sell good stuff but cheap stuff just ends up in the trash.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff,

You are correct, about it being a hopeless path and expensive...so while your instructor has given you a good starting list, I will start a list of other things, that you will not need at the beginning, but you will eventually realize you MUST have these things. Not that they are by any means essential but you will just HAVE to have them (sound like an addiction yet...it is):

HOOKS - you will need lots of these...every size #2 through 28 of every configuration - dry, nymph, scud, etc, etc - at least 100 of each DRY FLY NECKS:Brown, Dun (light, meduim and dark),Grizzley, Ginger,Cream, Black, Furnace HAIR - lots of hair - Deer in every conceivable color in the rainbow, elk, beaver, mink, fox, squirrel (red, gray and fox), calf tail, seal, woodchuck, rabbit, english hare and every other kind of exotic furry creature you can either skin or find at your local flea market. FEATHERS- if it flys it dies and you tie..pheasant, partridge, quail, peacock, jungle cock, ostrich, turkey, goose and every kind of duck know to man THREAD - lots of thread - besides the brown and black, you will need red, dun, olive (in at least 40 different shades), yellow, white, cream, gray, oh and don't forget the wire and tinsel! Not to mention....chenille (minimun 75 different sizes and colors), CDC, Flashabou, thin skin, Z-lon, synthetic dubbing of every color and shade, midge lace....

When you start to find yourself wanting to stop and pick of every piece of road kill you pass or you salivate everytime you see a women in a fur coat, you have officially joined the ranks of fly tiers.

I am hyperventilating just thinking about all this....ah just skip it and take up smoking crack....it's cheaper and less addictive.
    Last edited by PAangler; 01-04-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Didn't even know about that Bt's tying station. Sounds like a Great station!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

A point about the electric tester clips....like the ones Chris mentioned....be careful some [especially the cheaper ones] will have sharp edges on the metal clip part that can cut your hackle....need to file those smooth.......

I am hyperventilating just thinking about all this....ah just skip it and take up smoking crack....it's cheaper and less addictive.
    I've already found this out about fly fishing in general as well as playing guitar. Ever stop to think about how much stuff you need just to make music with a guitar (not to mention how many guitars I own. Wife reads this from time to time, let's just be polite and say it's over 6). Or how many fly rods we all own (again see wife comment above).

Now, I"m going to start collecting feathers and hair. My cat and dog are going to love me I can see.

+ Reply to Thread