+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rod question

I like an Elkhorn (they are also a sponsor here). Good rods for a great price and a lifetime warranty to boot. www.elkhornflyrods.com

jed

Thanks for jogging my memory, Jed. The Hook & Hackle Tradition II kit comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty as well for the $64.95. Jut a little icing on the cake to build your own.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thumbs up

Here we go again Joe. First I start fly fishing in July of 07. End up buying 3 fly rods, reels backing, line, flies, vest, and net. Go to the Micro Fish in Michigan, meet people that tie there own flies, build rods ( oh and not only great fisherman but also great people )

Now I start to learn to tie flies as of last week, fly kit, tools, etc.

And now you suggest learning to build rods........... my wife Saint Karen is going to kill us both. LOL

Hold it I have a plan ask for forgiveness it is easier than getting permission.

Tight Lines Folks
    Remember we all live down stream

I don't know HOW the rod building things got here! Honest! They must have just followed me home!

Yep, forgiveness, not permission!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Scubatim;
    Your "chain reaction", into this "obsession", sounds about par for the course, and you're also, right on schedule congratulations!
    I started, where you and about all of us started,except I started back around 1975 or so, so look at all you have to look forward to!! You and "Saint Karen", can happily go down this inward spiral of the "Dark Side", together too, which is always nice.
    You'll have to drag her, of course and the heels of her shoes will leave a trail, but hey, when ya' got hitched, remember you said, "I DO", not "I WON'T"!
    True, if we were as rich and as famous and a master chef, not to mention looking like Adonis, like Joe V. Or, still young and as pretty and as talented at anything we touch,like Betty H. these levels of our fly fishing quest we reach, may be easier to handle for both ourselves and our spouses.
    But, we have to do, the best we can, with what we have and just keep on truck'in and pretty soon........... "money will be no object, 'cuz ya' won't HAVE ANY left!!
    And, this "silly MYTH" about "the divorce rate among fly fishermen is one of he highest per capita of any sport"?? Well, I KNOW that isn't true, because my 3rd. divorce lawyer said so and HE'S also a fly fisherman so I know he wouldn't lie to me!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

ST CROIX AVID great rod! And its made in The USA! Soft rod perfect rod for what your describing fishing wise

I have an 8' Avid and after using it for a day two of my fishing buddies do also. It has a medium to medium fast action IMO so it is good in this case for three reasons. 1) You are not casting great distances and need the rod to load with a minimal amount of line. 2) In such a situation it is better to have a softer rod to fight the fish since the line stretch (like at 50') is not available to do it. 3) You have not been fishing or casting for long and so will probably do better with a more forgiving (not too stiff) rod. I don't disagree with building your own if $ are a concern. I am just agreeing with the Avid suggestion. IMHO the TCO rods that I have tried are very nice and several people like them, but I find them tip heavy and that is not my preference.

Thank you for the opinions, and advice. Building a rod is very intriguing to me right now. I load my own ammo (some of my guns have never shot a factory round since I've owned it), fletch arrows, and am fuddling my way through tying flies (but I'm improving), so building a rod seems a natural progression. I am also a perfectionist, so that's my concern. I still need to find one that feels right. Problem is the nearest fly shop is a minimum of 100 miles away. Luckily I have to go to the BIG city for training in the near future, and I'll have plenty of opportunity for "browsing". Then the decision part comes in to play. I have 116 days until the streams reopen, so to be safe I have 90 days to figure it out. Thanks again, and keep the opinions coming if you feel like parting with it.
    Last edited by heelerdog; 01-02-2008 at 04:31 AM.

I have to agree with Joe - build your own, if you can. The satisfaction is a great thing! Besides, even if you are a "perfectionist", you could build two or three for the cost of a single factory rod. Trust me, by your third rod you'll be customizing it and having great fun!

Enjoy . . .

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by heelerdog View Post
    Thank you for the opinions, and advice. Building a rod is very intriguing to me right now. I load my own ammo (some of my guns have never shot a factory round since I've owned it), fletch arrows, and am fuddling my way through tying flies (but I'm improving), so building a rod seems a natural progression. I am also a perfectionist, so that's my concern. I still need to find one that feels right. Problem is the nearest fly shop is a minimum of 100 miles away. Luckily I have to go to the BIG city for training in the near future, and I'll have plenty of opportunity for "browsing". Then the decision part comes in to play. I have 116 days until the streams reopen, so to be safe I have 90 days to figure it out. Thanks again, and keep the opinions coming if you feel like parting with it.
    heelerdog,

With the resume of hobbies you have provided, there is no doubt that you can do this, and do it exceedingly well. Now it's just a matter of "when," not "if," you will be building that rod.

When you go to the BIG city and cast all those rods, keep in mind that you will not find names like Pacific Bay, Rainshadow, Dan Craft, Gatti, Tiger Eye, Matrix and the other manufacturers names that you will find in the custom building community. These blanks are also used for some of the mainstream rods you are familiar with, but can be purchased for a fraction of the price of the name brand rods.

To learn some more about the different blanks and their characteristics, go to http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/ and just start reading and looking at some of the work that has been done by first-time and veteran builders alike. I spent over a month just reading the different posts, looking at pictures and asking questions before building my first rod in January '07, and then went on to build 10 more, with 6 blanks waiting in the basement for me to get "a round tuit." I further evolved to turning my own reel seats on the lathe, and built my own wrapping jig and rod dryer from scrap lumber and inexpensive components.

Have fun, whatever you do, and don't be afraid to ask questions. We can walk you through anything it takes to build your first rod, and like all good fishermen and fisherladies, we have an answer for everything.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread