+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pinedale WY trip - Green and New Fork Info?

Default Pinedale WY trip - Green and New Fork Info?

I'll be visiting an old friend in Pinedale, Wyoming in mid September. Hmmmm! Right by the Green and the New Fork, and mountain lakes nearby too. Anyone fished up there before? How deep is the water in the rivers (will my hippers suffice?) Hatches, fly patterns to try? Good fly shop in the area to stop and chat at? They can't call me a "greenie" since my Colorado license plates are the red 'firefighter' variety ;~)
    DAN

I fished in the Pindale area about 5 years ago and this is what got me into flyfishing because I asked myself"What do I need this stupid powerbait?"

There is a flyshop downtown and Im sure they can give you a lot more help than I ever could but here are some obervations:

For the most part the Green and New Forks are on private land. A lot of BLM land in the area not on the rivers. There is some access points here and there but most people float these rivers. There is public access to the Green up in the national forest but it is a little smaller up there. Did not personally get to fish that stretch. At the time of year I was there (May) the rivers would have been much too high to wade- I did bank fishing.

My best luck was fishing at Boulder Lake just outside of Pinedale- especially below the dam. Tons of good size brook trout down there. Every cast got a strike. Fremont lake is the deepest lake in the area and I saw pictures of large Lake Trout that were caught there in the Ace Hardware (They have a lot of flyfishing stuff there and it is interconnected with the grocery store)

There are so many lakes there it would take years to get to know the area. I dream about that place often. There is golden trout in the high mountain lakes that were stocked from tanks on the backs of mules.

I had pretty good luck over by Big Piney on Piney Creek - you have to watch out for the moose around there.

There are grizzly bears in the area now, so keep that in mind. Odds of running into one is low but they are there.

Thanks Charlie. I print this kind of info out to help plan our trip! I noticed the public access problems on my maps too, and we are not equipped to float. We'll probably focus on the upper reaches....brookies are good eatin' and so prolific I don't feel guilty bonking them for food....

Our plan so far is to spend a couple days getting to Pinedale, and fish the N. Platte on the way up, and the Green on the way back home. I'm hearing stories about King's Gate Canyon and the gold medal waters therein.

Thanks again
    DAN

The lakes in the Wind River range are incredible - as stated earlier, they were stocked by mule. However, it requires multiple days/backpacking to get to those lakes.

There are some wonderful small streams in the area. You might also want to run up to Jackson Hole - there are "wadeable" stretches on the Snake within the Teton National Park. Another spot with easy access, but some very difficult big fish, is Flat Creek right in the Elk Preserve. If you want a little smaller water, try the Gros Ventre above Jackson Hole.

Good Luck....

Hey TomassoP;
    Sounds like you're frothing up MY favorite waters ( frothing by beating with a fly line). I'll be on those 3(and more) places come Sept 10 till.......... Flat Creek happens to be my favorite place to get skunked but I " never say die". Last year the Gros Venter had NO water. The Snake at the Wilson Bridge always fishes well.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Hey there danbob;
    A good wadable access to the Green is just South of Pinedale at the Paradise Road bridge. Upstream of the bridge can produce some huge fish. Downstream is owned by a mean SOB so.......... Stand on the bridge and look down to see about 1,000,000 whitefish and trout.
    Good Luck

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

+ Reply to Thread