+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need help with wader sizing

Default need help with wader sizing

I'm thinking of getting either the Simms Blackfoot or Freestone waders.

My stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 180lbs.
    Inseam: 31"
    Largest girth at chest (while wearing a fleece): 43"
    shoe size: 10

I'm guessing I would fit the large size which is for:
    largest girth: 43-44"
    inseam: 33-34"
    stocking foot: 9-11

Does that seem like a good fit based on my stats? Will the extra inseam length be much of a problem or do I want actually want that?

Boots
    I plan on getting the Korkers Streamborn.
    Street shoe size is a 10, so should I go with an 11 to accomodate the waders?

Thanks for any tips.

If anyone has those waders or boots, how do you like them?

-Chris

I'm similar in size to you (5'10" & 175) and I have the Medium King (MK) Guide waders and they fit me perfect.

As for the boots, try them with waders first. My Simms boots are my normal shoe size and they are just right.

Chris -

Welcome to the BB. Lots going on here - lots of good people, good information and good humor.

You can't go wrong with Simms waders, in my opinion. I put well over 300 rough days on my first pair, which were their lower end product at the time, and they are still usable in warmer weather. Based on our comparative sizes ( if not shapes ? ), and the fact that I wear their M-Short, I wonder if you need their Large size ? Cactus seems to be saying the same thing. The 33-34" inseam on the Large also seems a bit too much, although I don't know what the inseam and stocking size are for their regular Medium size.

I'm also a big fan of Korker's, although I have the older model. My first pair went about 350 days, at an average of about 3-4 miles a day. Hiking rough trails and cross country in felt soles isn't my idea of fun, and I thought it would be hard on the felt, so I really like the interchangeable soles ( although you do have to take care that you don't walk without a sole in place ).

I wear a size 11 shoe, and take a size 12 Korkers boot. Not sure exactly how the current Streamborn is made, but on the older style, the leather really shrinks and hardens if they dry out. Just soak them when you are ready to go and everything will be fine.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default Waders

Chris - Do either of those waders have a "short" (Orvis) or "stout" (Cabelas) sizes? I have the Large-short Orvis and a Medium-stout in Cabelas. The extra room is great when I layer up for the winter. I also use Korkers and and wear an 8-1/2shoe, but find the 10's work best, again I use real thick socks in the winter and the extra room is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by raw69 View Post
    Chris - Do either of those waders have a "short" (Orvis) or "stout" (Cabelas) sizes? I have the Large-short Orvis and a Medium-stout in Cabelas.
    That's what the MK in Simms waders is. It is the inseam of a medium with the chest size (for those of us that enjoy our beer) of a large.

The Blackfoot series is the bottom model for Simms so it's just small, medium, large, x-large...

the medium and the large are the same except the medium has a smaller girth for 39-40".

guess the large is the best fit with the limited sizes for that model now that i take a 2nd look at it all.

glad to hear you guys like the simms and korkers; sounds like i should be a happy camper with that set up. thanks for putting my senses at ease

ChrisK;
    I don't have the waders you're looking at, but I've owned and worn the forerunner of the Korker boots you're considering for about 4 years now and love them.
    Mine are the "Outfitters" model, but like myself, they've now been discontinued. Evidently replaced by the new ones, you're looking to buy.
    Don't know why, the Outfitters are being replaced, other than like almost everything in our obsession......... "It's been on the market a while, so it's time to change the look a little bit and raise the price!"
    Anyhoooooo..... one or three suggestions if you go with the Korkers......... the interchangeable soles are the neatest thing, since Dshock discovered the comfort of wearing a thong. You of course, get several boots for the price of one. But, I learned early on, to carry a small, plastic tent stake style mallet with me, in my gear bag for knocking the soles intoplace, when changing from one to another.

When the boots are cold and wet,from wading.......say in the felts, felt/spikes, the rubber outer rib of the main sole can get pretty "stiff" and hard to argue with. So, that's when the mallet can comes into play, for "knocking" the new soles into the boot, when changing over.
    I also carry a cheap "horse hoof-cleaning tool". (looks like a flat blade screwdriver, with a loop handle, bent at 90 degrees, at the head). Even with a tight fit, on the sole to boot configuration, the "groove" that the soles fit into can become clogged with sand and stream debris, making changing soles a real challenge. The hoof cleaning tool, ran around the "groove", one time, cleans it right out.

Sorry, I guess I kinda make it sound, like the boots are a lot of work just to own and wear but, seriously, they're not!! Everything, from replacing soles, to cleaning out the groove, becomes so second nature, after about the 2nd. time you wear these great boots, it's no big deal. They're the most comfortable wading shoe, I've ever worn and I've owned about 6, different, brands over the years. Ankle support is very, very, good and with the "hiking sole" you can wear them all day, like regular boots.
    Now, the ONLY thing, that I DON'T like about this boot is the "Stealth, all rubber, "sticky" soles. I don't know about anyone, else, that's ever tried this type of sole before, but I would have slipped and fallen in, LESS had I worn dress shoes, when I tried that sole out!

I've tried the "Aqua Stealth" sole, by L.L. Bean, too and the results were the exact same........... like wearing dress shoes, instead of wading boots. Maybe, where I wore them, (Montana, Oregon and Washington), was the reason. Maybe back east, the algae is classier, or whatever, I have no idea. But, out here, in the west it's slick and they don't work!
    Good luck, enjoy the Korkers, they're great boots!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chris,

I'm 5'9" 170 lbs and have Simms Freestone waders in MK that fit great. Previous waders were Cabelas Dry Plus size Medium that fit like a tent. Also have size 10 foot - I have a pair of Simms Freestone boots (I have a very wide foot) in size 12; love them.

Regards,
    Scott

I'd rather have the inseam a bit longer than shorter .... you walk funny in the shorter seam, and you can always cinch them up a bit with the wading belt if they're a little long. Best advise is try them on before you buy! I love the Korker boots! Hadn't thought about a mallet ... probably would be less aggravating than the dance I do to get the soles set properly. By having interchangeable soles, you'll lessen the chance of spreading dydimo and other aquatic nasties. One set can be soaking in bleach solution while you wear the other.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread