+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Caddis Patterns

Default Older Caddis Patterns

I don't know, if others like to do such "weird things" as I like to do, but one thing I really enjoy when tying standard patterns gets "a bit boring", is to sift through old books and magazines, I have lying around, (about 5 feet deep in most places at least measurement), and try and tie some pattern I've never seen before, or, a pattern I've seen but forgotten about.

So, yesterday, while trying to navigate my tying room, the lamp on my spelunker's hat, burned out and in the dark I tripped over an issue of "Fly Fishing" from 1984.

After reviving the parakeet and getting the lights on again, I sat down and tied up the below pictured caddis pattern, from the magazine.
    The article labels it; "The Perfect October Caddis".
    Maybe, this particular caddis pattern is still popular and being tied, still, today but I sure haven't seen it, in many years.
    Anyway, I happen to believe that "A fly is only as good as the fish it catches", so taking a few of these out on the Necanicum today..... I returned home a happy duck after netting 11 fish, using this one fly.

If you'd care to tie it, the secret formula is:
    Hook: Mustad 94840 #6
    Thread: Uni-8/0 black
    Tail: None
    Body: Spun and clipped-orange deer hair-(very fine, what we call
    "Coastal Deer Hair").
    Palmered Through body: Ginger Rooster Neck.
    Wing: Elk Hair, Stacked & Even.
    Hackle Collar: Black Rooster Neck
    Head: Spun & Shaped Deer Hair, same as body, natural.
    Antenna: Moose Mane- 3 to 3.5" long.

Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smile The Perfect October Caddis

Thanx so much for the pattern, did you colour the deer yourself or was it already red?

Will try that out when i get better at tying deer hair.

Jeanne

Paul,
    Your a wizard at finding interesting flies! Try tying an old Bucktail Caddis! (orange body)
    The BC got put in the closet by the Elk Hair and Stimulator.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by jmeyerc View Post
    Thanx so much for the pattern, did you colour the deer yourself or was it already red?

Will try that out when i get better at tying deer hair.

Jeanne
    You're welcome!
    The deer hair is ORANGE, tho', not really red! I'm just a really bad photographer!!
    The deer hair was purchased, already died orange.
    And, actually, if you wish to practice tying with deer, this fly is really very good for that purpose, too. The body is spun on a bare hook shank of course but being long and "just round", with no tapering or anything fancy involved in shaping it, it's very easy to tie and trim.
    The head, is also a very easy deer hair practice area. Because the head is simply a small, round, ball of spun hair!

Doug.............. thanks, but as my bride always tells me........... "Strange and different, attracts, strange and different"! Of course, when she told me that, I told her "You're RIGHT! It's why my friends on FAOL are the ones they are!!" THEN, she understood!
    If ya' like "old and odd and unusual patterns" too, I just tied up some "Partridge wing Hornbergs", tonight from a VERY OLD book I've got. I could post, one of those, as soon as I reload my digital with more film!?!
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smile

Paul,
    I can't wait to see the new/old stuff!
    "If ya' like "old and odd and unusual patterns" (That's what we are!)
    Also, look at this map and does it show where you were fishing? http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Last edited by DShock; 12-31-2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: I'll have to think of a good answer
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Very nice and interesting fly! Thanks for sharing.

Skip

Normand Guest

theres an 'archive of old flies' on this website also!!

Quote Originally Posted by DShock View Post
    Paul,
    I can't wait to see the new/old stuff!
    "If ya' like "old and odd and unusual patterns" (That's what we are!)
    Also, look at this map and does it show where you were fishing? http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Dougy, I clicked on your provided link and it brought up a google map of the entire Untied States!??! So, yes, it "does show, where I was fishing"...... IN the United States!
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Dougy, I clicked on your provided link and it brought up a google map of the entire Untied States!??! So, yes, it "does show, where I was fishing"...... IN the United States!
    Paul,
    That proves I have quite a rep for finding links!! LOL! Holy Cow! I found the U nited States!! I am goooood!
    Happy New Year!!
    Doug

Doug-Please Pass The SPAM-DShock:
    HAPPPPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!, to YOU as well, my good friend!!
    I'm actually GLAD that you sent me that link, on the US! It reminded me of a Link, I saw near the water, over at Rocky Ford Creek, this past summer! I hadn't seen a "Link, in the wild", for some time so that one was a real treat to see!

I saw another, Link .... while scouting Elk this fall. It always amazes me, when I see a Link, because for such a fairly large, wild member of the feline family, it's really interesting that their tails are always so short!??!

Anyhooooo.... you asked, ( I think?), for another "oldie moldy" fly, from years gone by and since I'm trying to tie up as much as I can, right now, before my tying days come to a screeching halt............I looked thru more of my "very VALUABLE, old files",(or, what my lovely bride refers to, as: "That disgusting pile of rat nest material, covered by 4" of dust, that's the ONLY THING, in your room,filthier than your fishing hat!"
    Well, you're single Doug, so you may not quite understand that my wife's, SEEMINGLY rude, comments........are merely just JEALOUS comments, because I own such interesting artifacts and SHE doesn't!
    Anyway, the first is that "Partridge Hornburg", I'd mentioned, earlier. (It's an old pattern, but actually was recently featured in "Fly Tyer" this past Spring)

The second, is an old "Elk Hair Steelhead Skater" pattern that we actually still get results with, here at the coast, when water's low and very clear.(From: Fly Fishing Mag.1996)

Sorry, for the poor photography,especially on the underbelly shot,(TRYING to show you, the orange dubbed bodies), on both, but I'm currently training my new "fish'in partner" and at only 13 weeks old, she's at the age where she feels "She HAS to HELP me, do everything"!

Anyhooooo, 'here 'Tis.............

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread