+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: myths, legends, lies and other fishing facts

Normand Guest

Default myths, legends, lies and other fishing facts

http://www.flyline.com/tips_trivia/myths_legends_lies/

don't yank my chain i didn't write this stuff

Good read. Did you know that new fly patterns catch more fishermen than fish? It's true!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    Good read. Did you know that new fly patterns catch more fishermen than fish? It's true!

Joe

That is quite interesting. It appears there has been quite a bit of research prior to writing the article.

For me, I still continue to do or to use what works for me, even if it goes against the grain.

"If we act non threatening, the fish will almost always accommodate our presence. An analogy most people can relate to is a deer in a meadow. You can walk quietly along the perimeter of the meadow and usually the deer will give a good stare then continue to browse with an occasional glance. If you stop and do jumping jacks, the deer will become a blur."

After yrs of fishing out of aluminum boats and always being paranoid about making any noise, for fear of scaring the fish away, I was amazed, that when we switched to float tubes, that we caught fish very close to our tubes and 2 times I witnessed my Son catch a trout right next to his float tube. I came to the conclusion that the fish were not disturbed by our presence.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default Another Myth

Here is another myth: Bamboo rods are slow, heavy, one cannot achieve long casts or land big fish with them.
    Last edited by PaulY; 12-30-2007 at 11:08 PM.

nighthawk Guest

This is a subject of constant debate among all types of fisher folk. Through trial and error along with shared knowledge we all eventually learn what works for us and what does not.

I prefer to try the advice of the folks on this board. Until the day arrives that we learn how to communicate with the trout I will file most of what the so called experts pontificate as the absolute truth as probable at best. Sure, I try their advice but, in the end, the real experts are the fish.

The Cutters' have been researching fish and bugs for many years, including underwater and aquarium observations and photography of trout and their food. These observations have led them to develop some very successful trout patterns, just as the late Gary LaFontaine did based on his subsurface observations. Their new DVD on aquatic insects is excellent as are their books.

Why is it we teach children to fish using simple poles and worms, but as adults we insist upon abusing and frustrating ourselves with expensive equipment and flies which must tied with cheeks made from the feathers of a chicken whose coat cost $150 and up (Jungle C0ck), or the hairs from the armpit of a Peruvian vole that can only be harvested during months that end in "Y?" I'm so confused....All I ever wanted to do was go fishing and have some for dinner.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Well Joe, I think it's our competitive nature....for example...think about telling a football team that a game isn't important, so don't worry about winning. I guess the older we get, the more we want to do things a 'certain' way. Anymore I don't really care if I catch a lot of fish or really any per visit to the stream but if I do, I now seem to want to catch them by some specific means and in some specific way. All it really takes is that 'one' fish, caught in just the right way. I dunno.

Oh and maybe instead of having to use exotic matl's, we could go to stores that end with t to get them !

Newyearscheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread