+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check this out DUCKSTERMAN

Good discussion going here.....

From my prospective....

The NavII that FG and I have is almost perfect for the fishing that I do...the new Outlaw [that started this thread] won't replace it because I don't see it using a motor.

I'm glad Scadden thinks outside the box ....gave me the NavII

Price....as FG said he sells for "show prices"....at least I think if you call and ask he'll accommodate you...that's what I did.....

Like most things it's....."to each his own"...I'm sure happy with what I've got.....

WOW....the Giants just scored

I'll take that Aire Jag that Joni posted above, please. That right thar is one fine whitewater craft!

Default World famous

Many of you must be too young to remember Herter's "World Famous" items in his catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by DLJones View Post
    Many of you must be too young to remember Herter's "World Famous" items in his catalog.
    They were .....pluperfect
    Last edited by ducksterman; 12-30-2007 at 01:57 AM.

5. Default

I've been reading this thread and can't help be amused at some of you. Some of you guys sound like a bunch of jealous school girls. I'm sure none of you are though.
    I did take a gander at the online catalog. I didn't really pay much attention to the 'hog' and the 'doo rag' as some of you did originally, but I did notice you could pack up a kickboat and take it on a motorcycle, or ATV with no problem. As for someone mentioning "A friend of mine, has a brand new, D.S. boat, with that "rear deck w/built in motor mount", on Dave's list and when he hung his 28# thrust, electric on this "best in the industry motor mount", the weight of the motor alone, BENT the cheap aluminum diamond plate. He had to cross mount a 2x4 against the "motor mount" to support his Minnkota."
    I've seen his stuff (boats and decks) at the shows, and common sense comes into play on this one. Does everything have to be spelled out for some people. Like the "Don't place hand in chute went lawnmower is running" warning.
    The decks I saw are bent up 90 degrees at the end. Put your motor up to it and "bam" add a 2x4.
    Are You Smarter Than A Third Grader? Apparently not.
    I'm not sticking up for Scadden, but has anyone here seen one of these boats in person yet?
    You guys are sure quick to judge.
    Sure $1600 and $2400 are a lot. So don't buy them. I won't, but don't knock them till you see them.
    Last month it was the Orvis Helios- this month Scadden kickboats. What's next?

Is the i-phone worth $399? Not for me.

One more thing. I think it was flybinder that mentioned that Bucks or Outcast hasn't changed maybe because their customer base is happy with what they build and sell. For me I'm glad that Ford, GM, Chysler and others don't think that way.
    Last edited by Capt.BillyWhizbang; 12-30-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Default The Outlaws

One more thing to add to the direction this post went. I had a hard time with the $1,400. Price tag on my Cardiac Canyon (not what I paid mine you but real close to that and I don't regret it for a minute), but I will agree these new prices are not only brutal, but a bit scary.
    Wait and see I guess.

Dear CaptainBilly,

Nice rant!

Did it have a point?

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Dear fly goddess,

Getting back to the thread and your response about about length of tubes versus diameter I have to say it's all about displacement.

For example Creek Company says their 1018 with 10 foot long X 18" diameter tubes has a capacity of 400 pounds.

Scadden claims a capacity of 700 pounds for their Skykomish Sunrise with 10' 6" tubes of 16" diameter.

The volume of a cylinder = pi x the radius squared x the height

Forgetting about rocker and assuming that both Creek Company and Scadden support their boats with true cylinders then Scadden's math is horrible wrong.

Creek Company

3.14 x 81 x 10 = 2500 plus

Scadden

3.14 x 64 x 10.5 = 2110

The Creek Company boat actually has 20 percent more carrying capacity than the Scadden boat, it's simple math.

Another thing that frosts me about Scadden is that he has suggested retail prices for all his boats. I'll buy you a house if you can produce for me 2 people who actually paid suggested retail for his boats? The Skykomish Sunrise has a retail of $ 1600.00 but yet Cabela's sells it for $ 999.99 and often offers free shipping.

He may be the greatest guy in the world and he may make some truly innovative boats but to me he sucks at math and for that reason alone I'd have a hard time time buying any of his products.

It may not be his intent, but to me he just seems terribly dishonest?

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Yeah, Whizbang, that'd be me....... the dumber than a 3rd. grader guy.
    (quote)..."One more thing. I think it was flybinder that mentioned that Bucks or Outcast hasn't changed maybe because their customer base is happy with what they build and sell. For me I'm glad that Ford, GM, Chysler and others don't think that way".(end quote)
    And, your above quote says exactly the same fact as I made about equipment manufacturers in fly fishing....... about "Ford, GM, Chrysler and others".... all three manf. are so "forward thinking", that all their car models, from 2005 to present, you can't tell apart, unless you can get close enough to see the company logo. They also lead the auto industry in recalls, and all for safety problems. Ford, unless it's changed in the past 30 days also leads the auto industry in poor sales.
    But, the post is about boats.
    If readers of posts, would READ POSTS, instead of practicing their speed reading class projects, they'd have noted where I ALSO STATED; "I took one look at the so called "Best in the industry, built in motor mount" and I WOULD have placed a 2x4 across the plate, before mounting any sized motor".
    However, when a manufacturer makes the claim that "I HAVE THE BEST BUILT IN MOTOR MOUNT IN THE INDUSTRY", that is the same as saying; "MY motor mounts are THE EXACT SAME, EQUAL TO, OR BETTER THAN.... Sevlor, Sea Eagle, or ANYONE ELSE'S". Which, anyone passing 3rd. grade, would read his statement as such.
    So, since say, "Sevlor's motor mount, DOES NOT require any extra support, to function as a reliable motor mount, Scadden is claiming that "HIS DOES NOT EITHER".
    Even we 3rd, grade drop outs, WhizBang, know better than to "compare apples to grapefruit". It's not the "Look at and figure it out, yourself, type of claim" he makes. His ads clearly state, without room for question or doubt, that "He has the best in the industry,thus making his motor mounts BETTER than those of Sevlor, Sea Eagle, et al".
    "The awesome advantage of packing a kick boat on a motorcycle or ATV", isn't a D.S brain storm either. MY 8' white water rated Creek Co. boat fits into its own backpack, complete with oars, pump and room for two rod tubes. I don't transport my boat this way, no need to. But, it's not a world spinning brand new idea. My O.C. is 4 years old.

Now, finally, Whiz........ as we were being taught, right before I left the 3rd. grade and entered my life long career of being a swimming pool light bulb changer...... take your finger and put it under each word, as you read the "last sentence in my second post on this topic".
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by DLJones View Post
    Gads, how I WISH I "was too young to remember", but I'm not!
    I still have some old Herter's original catalogs and they're some of the funniest reading material I have on hand!!
    It never mattered, in Herter's eyes,"WHO, made, WHAT", Herter's ALWAYS had the better mouse trap!
    The only sports manf.figure that even came close to Herter's and his "opinions" was old man Gerke himself.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread