+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gluing Broken Cork Grip - Help

Default Gluing Broken Cork Grip - Help

Help....While reaming out my cork grip it suddenly broke in half. It wasn't a clean break like two rounds of cork separating but rather a jagged thing. I haven't fooled with it since and wondering if any one has any suggestions on how to glue it.

Can I just use the epoxy I have for attaching it to the blank??? Super glue??

I read the Al Campbell article and say he recommended some resin stuff, but I am anxious to get going and hoping to get on it tonight. Besides in this little town the resin would cost as much as a new grip.

Any suggestions?

Ned

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Ouzel View Post
    Help....While reaming out my cork grip it suddenly broke in half. It wasn't a clean break like two rounds of cork separating but rather a jagged thing. I haven't fooled with it since and wondering if any one has any suggestions on how to glue it.

Can I just use the epoxy I have for attaching it to the blank??? Super glue??

I read the Al Campbell article and say he recommended some resin stuff, but I am anxious to get going and hoping to get on it tonight. Besides in this little town the resin would cost as much as a new grip.

Any suggestions?

Ned
    I'm not the most knowledgable on this subject, but, if you're just building the rod and I'm assuming it's a grip you bought already made, I would suggest you buy/bum/borrow a cork ring from another builder you know and cut out the cork piece that broke and glue the new piece in it's place. (More to it than that, but you get the picture?) 1/4" allthread and a couple fender washers and nuts on each end will do the trick while the glue dries. Carefully sand the new ring down the next day to match the rest of the grip and carefully re-ream. Some people use Gorilla Glue, rod builders epoxy etc. for glue.
    Good luck, it's not as hard as it sounds.

Easier than that (although it does sound like a workable solution), would be to line it up as best you can, apply a couple drops of Gorilla glue to one side, and a bit of water to wet the opposing side, and glue 'em together. Run masking tape around end over end, and as tight as you can get it. And leave it totally alone for about 24 hours. After it's totally dry, use a piece of sandpaper to remove any trace of glue (DO NOT BREATHE IN THE DUST!!!). Support the cork when you finish the reaming, and go slow. Should work OK! (we won't go in to why I know this way works ... thank you very much!)
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 12-30-2007 at 01:58 AM. Reason: can't spell!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks for both of your advice...

BTW, should I consider reaming the cork before doing anything else, so as not to rebrake when reaming??

Ned

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Easier than that (although it does sound like a workable solution), would be to line it up as best you can, apply a couple drops of Gorilla glue to one side, and a bit of water to wet the opposing side, and glue 'em together. Run masking tape around end over end, and as tight as you can get it. And leave it totally alone for about 24 hours. After it's totally dry, use a piece of sandpaper to remove any trace of glue (DO NOT BREATHE IN THE DUST!!!). Support the cork when you finish the reaming, and go slow. Should work OK! (we won't go in to why I know this way works ... thank you very much!)
    Good idea Betty. I figured when he broke it there would be some cork loss. I build most of my grips/handles and I've cut the broken cork out with a Japanese flush cut saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Ouzel View Post
    Thanks for both of your advice...

BTW, should I consider reaming the cork before doing anything else, so as not to rebrake when reaming??

Ned
    NO!!! Glue it first ... let it dry completely ... then, slowly, gently, ream the cork, supporting it as you go.

Capt ... I'd give my eye teeth for a Japanese flush cut saw!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Thanks Betty, will do.

I got to thinking last night, whats the hurry. No place to use a 4 wt until April anyway. Truth be known cork is my least favorite part of building and I just wanted to get on to wraping and feathers I figure that someone is trying to teach me a lesson. I am going to glue as Betty recommended but secure with the bold/washer/wing nut ditty that the Capt. mentioned and save the handle for a later build. When I am done I am useing the same materials to glue together my first custom handle with some burl rings. Got plenty of time, might as will challenge myself and come away with a product I am really proud of.

Thanks for the advice,
    Any other advice is welcome,
    Ned

Ned here is one of the best articles on cork grips and how to make up one with rings. I notice he said he has tried every adhesive and fond only epoxy to be the best. Talks about resin like Gorilla as not his choise.
    http://globalflyfisher.com/staff/lewis/grips/

I would not recommend Gorilla glue for the entire grip (build/turn your own). But in a quick, fairly easy repair of one fracture, it'll work good. Dale Lewis' article is super reference!! I wish I had the know-with-all to be brave enough to glue the cork rings directly to the blank, and turn them from there!! Now, it would not be a pretty sight!!

+ Reply to Thread