+ Reply to Thread

Thread: colors for a Rick's Caddis aka Green Rock Worm

Default colors for a Rick's Caddis aka Green Rock Worm

Being a new fly fisherman and a very new fly tier I have what I am sure will be an easy question for you old pros

I have the book Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris and have tied 2 of the Rick's Caddis on a size 12 hook using his recipe a few turns of #1 lead, bright green dubbing for the abdomen, and brown dubbing for the thorax. ( I must say for my first attempts they came out fairly nice)

My question is this. It is stated in the recipe that this fly can be tied in other color combinations and I was wondering if any one could give me some different combinations.

Thanks and tight lines
    Remember we all live down stream

Congratulations on your first flies, ST! Another color you could try would be a tannish brown body with a brown head to imitate Hydropsyche (green rock worm is an imitation of Rhyacophila) caddis larva.

You might also want to try the pattern with a thin abdomen, blackish-red abdomen (you can mix red and black dubbing for effect) and a black head for a good blood midge pattern. Would come in handy if you do any stillwater fishing.

Of course, part of the fun is experimentation so try whatever strikes your fancy...

I agreed with all whatfly said, and suggest that you when you get a chance. Go to the places you fish and flip a few rocks and see what there. Best way to know what colors will or might work is to find evidence of what is in your local waters.

Good luck and tight lines
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Thanks for the input both of you. I will give both ideas a try.

I don't have Skip's book in front of me, but I think Rick Hafele is the creator of the Rick's Caddis. Here is his email address. rick@laughingrivers.com May be he can suggest some other color combinations for you as well.

I forgot to add, congratulations on tying those flies and welcome to the addiction!
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 12-28-2007 at 08:42 PM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hey congrats on your flies. Sounds like you?re off to a great start.

The rock worm imitates free living caddis larvae (family Rhyacophelia) as opposed to many other types of caddis that build cases out of stones, twigs, plant debris and gravel, or build nets in their larval stage.

They need lots of oxygen, so fish weighted ones near the bottom on a short line in riffles where they tend to hang out. It could be a great pattern if you have a lot of fast water in the streams you fish. Stonefly nymphs might be good too since they prefer similar water.

Most of the ones around here (east) that I?ve seen are size 10-16 and green?anything from bright ?insect? green to olive, but I?ve also seen very similar ones in fast water, sizes 12-16 probably net builders Hydropsyche or Chimara in tan, gray and cream, and a ?zebra? one with a creamish body with black stripes that you could imitate with cream dubbing and a rib of black floss if you have them out there, but you won?t know that until you kick over some rocks, so I?d probably stick to mostly green ones and maybe few cream or tan..

For slower water, I tend to tie and use more Sparkle Pupa and soft hackle/flymphs to imitate caddis pupae (orange, green, gray, black, brown) rather than caddis larvae patterns. You can find step by step instructions in the Fly Archives here on FAOL. (Click on Fly of the Week on the main page, then ?Previous Flies? to get to the archives.) The pupae/soft hackles have worked better for me as a searching pattern than larvae in slow water, and they?re a great imitation before/during a caddis hatch if you?re not getting hit on top with dries (EHC etc)

Hope this helps.

peregrines

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    I don't have Skip's book in front of me, but I think Rick Hafele is the creator of the Rick's Caddis. Here is his email address. rick@laughingrivers.com May be he can suggest some other color combinations for you as well.

I forgot to add, congratulations on tying those flies and welcome to the addiction!
    ADDICTION is right LOL

+ Reply to Thread