+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Considering trying Erie Steelhead

Default Considering trying Erie Steelhead

I'm thinking about going for Erie steelhead maybe this spring. I'll be using a 8wt. Anyone have any good suggestions for the best time to go in the spring, flies, etc. Suggestions for creeks for newbies would be helpful. Fall is out of the question, between archery hunting and the fact that I want to go to NC for albies. I have a brand new 10 wt. I'm saving for them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkilroy View Post
    I'm thinking about going for Erie steelhead maybe this spring. I'll be using a 8wt. Anyone have any good suggestions for the best time to go in the spring, flies, etc. Suggestions for creeks for newbies would be helpful. Fall is out of the question, between archery hunting and the fact that I want to go to NC for albies. I have a brand new 10 wt. I'm saving for them.

Thanks
    In PA & Ohio you can fish steelies into April & May, with streamers and egg patterns working well. The Manistee strain of steelhead in Ohio spawn in the Spring, and this can make for some interesting sight fishing. I won't go into the ethics of this practice because it's a personal choice of fishing to spawning fish, except to say that Ohio streams are warm water and do not sustain natural reproduction in any discernible numbers. That being said, Ohio stocks 450,000 smolts annually from Conneault to Vermillion, and that makes for a substantial put-and-take fishery.

As you get closer to Spring, come back to the board and I can post some patterns that will be working at that time. I'm headed out tomorrow to take a friend on his first steelhead trip, and we'll be using various Wooly Buggers, Clousers, Mysis Shrimp patterns, Crystal Meth and yarn eggs individually and in tandem rigging. If that fails to catch fish we'll get out the noodle rods and egg sacks. I aint fussy when it comes to steel, especially since my friend is out to fill the smoker for us.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Erie Tribs

Good info from Joe V. My best trips have been between January and April. April and May are fun, because you may run into a load of Smallies. I have fished the Ashtabula, the Chagrin, the Conneaut, the Grand , and the Rocky and have had good fishing in all of them. As for flies, check out this selection from Mad River in Columbus.
    http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/c-...d-ontario.aspx

I had very good luck this year with the mini-bugger tied in sizes 8 & 10 in Olive, Brown, and Gray. Other flies that have been successful are the Lil Bugger, the Steelhead Hammer, Hares Ears, Prince, and the Bomber. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

pm me and ill fill in what anyone has missed
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy5910 View Post
    pm me and ill fill in what anyone has missed
    Ditto for me and Lake Erie High Ball, if you're planning on coming this far west we'd love to hook up with a fellow FAOLer and show you some spots in our Rocky River backyard.

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

I forgot to add the original post I will be fishing the tribs in Erie, Pa info on the streams there would be helpful.

+ Reply to Thread