+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: slip on leader loops

Default slip on leader loops

i seen at our fly shop nearby (bout an hour drive) while getting some streamer & scud hooks some slip on leader loops....they are made by cortland & was a florescent yellow green in colour......slide on the fly line kinda like a chinese finger trap toy & fasten on with a length of shrink tubing.......the pack of 4 was bout 4$ so i got 1 just to try out & they work great.....easy to put on too......i ruined the first leader loop tryin to put it on so i cut an angle on the tip of a fly line & the loop went on just fine.....even stayed on when i attached a 25lb weight to the end of it & tugged it around a little like i was fightin a fish (didnt do the test with the line on my rod).......

had some by a different company 2 years ago but never would stay on the line, slipping off when ya hook a desent size fish......

They do work pretty good, but, I have had them come off. I think it was due to the shrink tubing bumping the rod tip and allowing it to slip a little each time until it finally came off. You might be wise to add one drop of super glue next to the shrink tubing on the loop side which will lock it on. I do not use them at all now. I use the Castwell Knot which has never failed and makes for a lot smaller connection which goes through the rod guides real well.

Hope you have a great Christmas!

I have used those Cortland slip-ons before and found them to be so-so. Never had one come off but did not like the leader performance using them, especially with dries. Since I was originally taught a loop to loop connection, for the most part that continues today, only I use a few other methods ~ Nail knot, old timey Eagle Claw line-to-leader plastic connectors, making a loop at the end of the fly line and securing that loop by winding.

On my trip to Alaska this past August, for the first time ever, had a healthy pink salmon (I think, that was what we had been catching), actually break my fly line just above the loop. I cannot ever remember a fish breaking the fly line, leaders where always the weak link. Was using about a five foot 12 lb mono leader looped to my special hand crafted fly line loop. Was not a new line, in fact really cannot recall when that particular line was put into service. What I did right there in the field was to tie a perfection loop in the end of the fly line, trimmed the excess close, and continue fishing. The particular rod I was using (a 9wt), has large rod guides so getting loop hung up was not a problem.

Dale

how do you make a loop at the end of a flyline just using the flyline itself ? any video or instructions of some sort on how to do it ?

Blog Entries

Bugman, Most people who make a loop out of just their fly line use fly tying thread to wrap it together, then use something like epoxy to put a smooth and secure connection.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Normand Guest

Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect leaders............... best thing since sliced bread!

thanks fer the link........

Normand Guest

for some added insurance to keeping a braided loop onto the fly line, add a nail knot as shown in the attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Be aware that if you use super glue or epoxy you are creating pretty much a rock hard spot and therefore a hinge point that has the potential to split/crack the fly line.....I've seen it.....

+ Reply to Thread