+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vest / Pack Suggestions

Default Vest / Pack Suggestions

I've gone through a number of vest and pack alternatives through the years, but have never found a vest or pack that I've been completely happy with, so I'm shopping again and looking for suggestions. This would be primarily for fishing small trout streams on foot. I frequently hike a bit, so I want to carry a fair amount of stuff -- 32 oz water bottle, lunch, rain jacket, 4-6 fly boxes, net, camera, net, small first aid / repair kit, etc.

I want something comfortable that doesn't shift or tug in the wrong places when it's fully loaded and that's not too hot during the summer. I'm leaning towards something with a waist belt or backpack straps for stability.

I want something that's efficient on the stream, but smooth zippers and good organization are more important to me than the specialty organization like tippet systems and fly ports.

I like the split,vertical chest packs, but I don't like the one-piece chest packs as I'm on the stout side and like to see where I'm stepping.

I don't have a retail store in my area where I can look these, but I'm considering the following. I would be glad to hear other suggestions.
    1) Fishpond Open Range
    2) Fishpond Wasatch
    3) Patagonia Pack Vest

Thanks for the help.

I prefer lumbar systems like this

www.rei.com/product/745643

combined with

www.rei.com/product/671335

Lots of storage space. The accessory straps help keep a heavily loaded lumbar pack from slipping.

One small box of readily accessible flies, and a tippet spool or two go in a shirt pocket. I wear tools on a lanyard. Extra fly boxes, leaders, tippet, lunch, light rain jacket, etc. go into the pack. I don't bother with a net, but some of the light collapsible nets can be affixed to the back of the pack for hiking, then released and clipped on with a carabiner or other device when fishing.

Blog Entries

John, consider finding an outfit that makes backpacks and having something custom made for you. Like you, I can never find anything that I really like, and some day will break down and get one made.

DG

Blog Entries

Possibly a double chest pack may suit your needs...But then again you can't really see your feet all that well with the double pack.

If you go with the fanny pack deal, make sure it has a wide belt strap, Otherwise the pack when loaded with lots of stuff with be very uncomfortable.

Good luck on whatever you choose!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

One option, you may consider..........go to the William Joseph web site and check out the "Equinox", unit.
    Instead of the conventional vest, or, chest pack, it's more of a a "bandoleer pack/vest". One of our club members has one and loves it for what type fishing he likes to do........... "running up and down mountain sides, looking for remote streams and lakes"! (his description, not mine!)
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

In October '04 I went to a Camelback Rim Runner hydration pack and a Fishpond chest pack. The Rim Runner has a 100 oz reservoir and two outside mesh pockets which will handle quart bottles, bear spray, etc. The capacity of the Rim Runner is about 1700 cubic inches. It will handle a rain or fleece jacket, a second reel and a number of small to medium fly boxes, food, and the chest pack in the main compartment. The smaller compartment will handle most of the "ten essentials" I carry with me at all times plus a first aid kit, snack bars, toilet paper, and a small aquarium net.

The Fishpond Chest pack carries enough fishing stuff that I can get by without the Rim Runner when fishing closer to the car.

Between fishing and hiking, the Rim Runner has well over 600 days use on it, anywhere from several hours to full day outings. About an inch of stitching for the zipper on the main compartment has failed, and it shows the effects of thousands of hours in the sun and the elements, but otherwise it is in good shape and may go another 600 days.

The Fishpond chest pack has between 400 and 450 days use on it. It looks like new !!

If you like the approach, take a look at Camelback's website. The Rim Runner goes for $85, and they have a number of other packs which might be more suitable to your needs, if you decide to go this way.

The Fishpond website shows the chest pack for $49.

I haven't checked on any of the outdoor equipment vendor's sites, but you might find a "buy" on a suitable Camelback pack at rei.com, sierratrading post.com, or campmor.com.

Good luck in exploring your options.
    The fish are always right.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/highcountry.cfm
    i have used to highcountry pack and love it, i can put alot of gear into the backpack and loads of boxes up front

Flyguy5910 -

Pretty slick marketing technique !

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    I've gone through a number of vest and pack alternatives through the years, but have never found a vest or pack that I've been completely happy with.
    Like boats and vehicles there is always an element of compromise needed.

I tend to find the rainjacket is the bit that is hard to cope with, None of my jackets G3, Deep Wading, pack down small enough to fit in a vest without leaving me feel like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

One thing you might try is getting a really lightweight packable Jacket like the Simms Invest or similar, to keep the bulk down

So the packs have some appeal, until you land in the heat of an Arkansas summer. So I have ended up guiding out of a Fishpond Waterdance, holds 2 waterbottles, all the fly boxes I need and all the other odds and sods, and I sling the net from the neck strap. But not a jacket. Keeps all the weight on my hips.

Which is a problem in winter when Im wearing my G3 as it rides on top of the pack and heavy enough to push it down.

So Ive been looking at the Wasatch - Gore Range and other vestpacks to take over for winter and the shoulder seasons when you need a rain jacket.

Im like you not a huge fan of chest packs _ I don't like the bulk on my chest.

But perhaps you might like a couple of new packs from Fishpond.
    They could be the answer for you hiking needs, take a full jacket lunch, water bottles etc when you really need to be self-sufficient, _ more so than me Im never more than a mile and half from my vehicle or boat.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/images/pr...ertailmain.jpg

http://www.fishpondusa.com/images/pr...dhorsemain.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Steve

iam trying to get fishpond products in my store. so i hope, i can help some other retailer that does.
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

+ Reply to Thread