+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U40 rod finish

Default U40 rod finish

Anyone else have problems with the U40 rod finish? Granted I'm using it in an unheated basement (temp about 60) but I've never had problems with a rod finish not setting up....well, it did set up, after about 4 days, but it's still soft to the touch (not sticky, just can stick a thumb nail into it ... not totally hard). I stripped it all off, and all the threads and guides, and re did it all with flex coat. So far, no problem. Go figure, it'd be my new boo! I don't think I've ever taken so long to finish a rod as I have with this one!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Re: U40 rod finish

Hey Betty, which U-40 finish were you using? I have been using the Perma Gloss and never have any sorts of problems with it. The Dura Gloss, however is sensitive to the mixing process and proportions, as you know, and it can sometimes do exactly what you are describing.

I have been using U-40 for years and never had a problem with it. Granted anything that has to be mixed I refuse to use simply because I don't do well at mixing. If there was a foolproof method for mixing I would mess it up some how. That is why I use the perma gloss.

Definitely a mixing/proportions issue. LS Supreme does take a bit to cure, especially at 60 ... you really might want to incorporate a space heater, I don't recommend working/drying below 70 for optimal results.

Blog Entries

I used to make model sailboats out of fibre glass. Sometimes that happens . Sometimes if you leave it sit for a month or so it will harden right up . Sometimes not.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I have a question for you guys. Is U-40 used on the whole rod/blank ar is it only used on the thread that holds the guides?

Stuff in the mixing cup is finally starting to harden. Guess U40 doesn't like it as cold as I do! Rod is progressing well with Flexcoat.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

i used Gudebrod Rod Varnish when i built my first bamboo rod......took about 30 minutes to dry on the 1st coat....put 3 coats on....went on very smoothe with no bubbles forming anywhere......

i used Gudebrod Rod Varnish when i built my first bamboo rod......took about 30 minutes to dry on the 1st coat....put 3 coats on....went on very smoothe with no bubbles forming anywhere......

Justfishin' Guest

I have had leveling problems with the LS, I found it to be too darn thick. Went back to an epoxy I could thin and I'm going to try some stuff I bought called Klass Kote- www.klasskote.com - that I think is what Dale Clemens used to sell. It may have yellowed a bit but I really liked the viscosity, every wrap would be smooth as silk. BTW, what finish did you use on the blank?

+ Reply to Thread