+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melting Albolene???

Default Melting Albolene???

So, a while ago I asked about how to make your own floatant. Thanks for all the responses.

I had determined that I would purchase some Albolene. I work in a Rx so I got a swinging deal through a supplier for some (it's cheap already, but next to free is nice!)

My question! What is the best way to melt it to get it into some nice size bottles that I would use on the water? Microwave? Double-boiler? I want to reduce the mess as much as I can and not ruin any of the stuff in the kitchen.

Suggestions are much appreciated!

Scott

Default Re: Melting Albolene???

Tuna can and a heat gun. The stuff melts at a pretty low temperature.

fishbum

Deezel Guest

Crimp a funnel into the top edge of a coffee or similar can. Place the Abolene into that can. Place this can into a pot of simmering water.

Deezel

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum
    Tuna can and a heat gun. The stuff melts at a pretty low temperature.

fishbum
    I just finished making a tuna sammich. DO you still need the can?

Joe (bored & silly today)
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Totally understand the bored and silly thing! Looks like a Tuna melt for lunch!

Dunno where I am gonna get the heat gun!

Would a hair-dryer work for the melting? Dunno the melting point of Albolene!

Melting point is low as previously said....hair dryer should work...it will melt just hanging from your vest in a hot sun....

SKershaw;

I use one of those "cheapie, hardware store, folding Sterno fired"- "camp stoves", for melting mine to put into bottles. I use a similar small can, (cat food, tuna.etc.) and handle it with pliers to pour it from the can into the carrying bottles. DON'T let it get too hot, though, or you can overheat the carry bottle and have a "mell of a hess"!! (I share, this, sheerly from my own, STUPID experience!). I, usually, melt a lot at a time, for friends too so thus the stove set up and not having to hold a hair dryer under a can for a long time!

Another, FAR MORE EXCELLENT IDEA, comes from Ducksterman's hint that: "it melts while on your vest in the hot sun".........................namely, if you'll pay all expenses, for you and I to go to Belize for like.......... oh, maybe no longer than 3 weeks, next month, I'll hold the Albolene jar, while you scoop the stuff out and after it's melted in the warm, tropical, sunshine............ pour it into some carry bottles!!
    Thank you, I realize it's a sacrifice on MY part, to do such a thing and ask you for no payment in return, but I'm just "sweet" that way. No. Really. I am!!

Paul
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Paul;

I kinda doubt that Scott will be able to take you up on such a nice offer right now. As you should know, he is a student at a big-name (read very costly) college. Due to that, he is on a limited (by his wife) budget and can barely afford to pay attention.

Couldn't help it Scott.

Don Rolfson

OK, now that we know it melts at low temp for pouring into suitable containers, does anyone have a reasonably priced source for said containers, say, in the 1 to 1.5 oz size? My sample size bottle of contact cleaner solution would be the right size, but I cannot seem to locate the empty containers at local dollar stores. My local Pharmacist looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if any were available for purchase from his store. I would like to make up a dozen containers to pass out to friends who now use the high priced spread. I was able to find 3 oz containers for $.79 each, but they are too large to be conveniently carried in an already overstuffed vest.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hey Joe...I saw some perfect little snap top bottles at Wal - Mart the other day in the cosmetics section. They are apparently intended to pour travel size portions of shampoo, cream rinse, and other girly stuff in to for traveling. I say girly stuff meaning ablolutely no offense to any lady flyfishers or other ladies who may be reading. I just don't know any better. And me bein in that part of the store is one a them things, ya know, what you read in FAOL stays in FAOL...........................ModocDan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

+ Reply to Thread