+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My weekend fishing partner

Default Re: My weekend fishing partner

Nice pictures. He looks proud

I took a fishing trip with some buddies, on and around Sturgeon Lake in Canada. We canoed in and set camp at a spot where a fast moving narrow opened up right out infront of our site. Little did we know we weren't the only ones staying there. Our neighbors, a pair of Bald Eagles, were staying right across from us. They turned out to be very hospitalbe and entertaining. After a long day of fishing and paddeling it was nice to come back, relax and watch those two. When they felt we were settled in they would start preforming. The two would fly straight up into sky and once at the peek of their climb they would almost hang there for an instant. While at the top they would lock talons. Locked together the two would tumble back to Earth. Nearing the surface of the water they would break apart. Having regrouped for a moment they would do it all over again, again and again. Once satisfied the pair would retire to their perch looking back at us. With amazement still on our faces I thought WOW WHAT A SHOW! Those two must have been pretty proud of themselves. And rightly so. BRAVO!! YOU TO BRAVO!!

"While at the top they would lock talons."....WOW that is fantastic...what a privilege see something like that

Many times when they do the locked talons, they sing their incredibly beautiful call. That free-fall is beyond words!!

Here's another shot of the same eagle "resting" his leg.

Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Had the privilege to watch a pair of eagles "dancing" for about half an hour one summer evening (much as you've described) off the NW Washington coast about fifteen years ago. It was one of the most intriguing and enjoyable wildlife experiences I've had.

Lots of eagles around here, and osprey. Seldom fish the South Fork without the company of eagles or the Henry's Fork without seeing osprey. Watching an eagle skim the surface and snatch a trout or an osprey make a rocket like dive into the river and come out with a fish tops off any day on the water, no matter how good or bad the fishing / catching was.

A couple times recently on the lower Henry's fork I had the good fortune to see an eagle rob an osprey of its catch. Not that I favor eagles over osprey, but it's one of those things that has been happening since long before we inhabited this part of the land, and it is an honor and a pleasure to witness it.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread