+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringin in the New Year at The Ford

Default Bringin in the New Year at The Ford

With Christmas around the corner, it begs the question. How are you starting off the New Year? For a number of years now there have been a number of depraved, mindless, masochistic individuals who have chosen to meet at a frequently inhospitable location to attempt getting the year off on the right foot. Snow, rain, wind, cramped quarters, good company and an occasional nice fish have been the rewards. Who's game? I'll be there, not that it's much incentive for anyone else, but misery does love company. Come try out your new toys boys and girls.

Cary Morlan
    AKA Linemender
    Cheapest fly fishing guide in the Columbia Basin
    (For good reason)
    Cary Morlan
    AKA Linemender
    Cheapest Guide in the Columbia Basin
    (For good reason)

Default Re: Bringin in the New Year at The Ford

Linemender;
    For the past 11 years, (2008, will be our 12th, if all goes as planned!), Bishop and I have fished Rocky Ford Creek on New Years Day. Like, you asked...... "How are you starting off the New Year?" and Bishop and I feel there's no BETTER WAY, to begin a new year, than to hook into some 20+ inch rainbows!?!

And, obviously, if you're into this tradition too, it's catching on. Year, before last, we ran into Jim and Kelly Watt, over on The Ford and they told us, "how they'd also started the same tradition on New Year's Day".

In fact, over the past years, we've run into a bunch of great folks over on "The Creek", standing in the snow, fishing #20 Humpys, Griffiths Gnats and even Tricos.
    We all, look at one another, with the expression of "What are we................. NUTS?, for standing out here, in this weather, fishing?" and then all readily agree that: "OF COURSE we are, that's what's FUN about it!"

Unfortunately, I've got to have some medical tests, here, in the next few days which may determine if I make it up there, this New Year's Day or not. (or, perhaps, if I'll be giving up fly fishing much sooner than I thought I ever would). But, hopefully, we'll run into you and the rest of the gang.........come New Year's Day!??! If we do, don't forget that as usual, this also includes a late morning breakfast, in Quincy, when we're through!

Paul
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I will probably start it off steelhead fishing on the Coos River here at home. If not there it will be on one of the forks of the Millicoma River.

Rocky

Elkhunter;
    Very quickly, because I don't want to hijack anyone's post....... but currently, what shape is the Coos River in, with all the rain we've had lately?
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Flybinder I sent you a pm.

Rocky

I'm right next to ya, Cary!!

Jeff
    "If you don't loosen up that buckle on your heart and start to chuckle, your gonna die of boredom, Safety Joe" ~John Prine

Mr Linemender,
    I have to ask, who in their right mind would want to go fishing at de Ford on New Years Day? Snow. wind, freezing temps... conditions no proclamined dryfly fisher such as you would ever partake in.

Z

PS, what time do we meet in the parking lot?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw
    I'm right next to ya, Cary!!

Jeff
    I'm having second thoughts. Jeff, can I ride with you? I'll tie all the flies. And split the gas bill.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Flybinder, I'm surprised we haven't run into you. Or maybe we have. We've been doing this for a few years now. 6 maybe? Anywho, we are always at the last parking lot. I'm please to hear that Z, JeffW, and hopefully Lowtech Joe, all veterans of this fiasco, are planning to attend. I look forward to any other alumni and certainly any who are coming for the first time.

Jeff, email me, I have some pictures for you.

Cary Morlan
    AKA Linemender
    Cheapest guide in the Columbia Basin
    (for good reason)
    Cary Morlan
    AKA Linemender
    Cheapest Guide in the Columbia Basin
    (For good reason)

Cary;
    It's sort of funny, all the times Bishop and I have fished on New Year's Day at The Ford and then a month or six later on........... run into someone, in a fly shop, wherever and they'll say "YOU, were at Rocky Ford on the First? Wow, so was I, (so, were we, etc.) and yet we can't even remember seeing anyone as they've decribed what they were wearing and we tell them what we had on!?! (color/type of vest, color/type hat or coat, whatever).

Anyhoo, IF I get to go, this New Year's, (marking it as our 12th year, but recent medical tests on Saturday may rule out me going and maybe, even, giving up fly fishing all together pretty shortly), just be on the look out for two men, around 6'2" tall each, that when you see them, you'll elbow the guy next to you and whisper to them.............. "Hey, look at THOSE TWO, will ya? I wonder what homeless bums, are doing........clear out here, in the middle of this cold and snowy desert!??" Then, you'll have spotted Bishop and I, for sure!!
    Or, if you spot a couple of guys that make you kick yourself, for not packing a side arm for protection, or you suddenly have the urge to pick up a large rock and gauge its throwing accuracy....... that'd be us, too.

HOPE to see you there, we'll see!!

Paul
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread