+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: topo maps

Default topo maps

i have decided to spend my winter going over topo maps. i want to know where public meets private land on my local waters , the problem is finding good current info. if anyone has any good tips or web sites (that dont charge) or any government programs that have free maps please let me know. thank you.

nighthawk Guest

Default Re: topo maps

United States Geological Survey USGS. Here is the site address: http://www.usgs.gov/

Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

nighthawk Guest

Also a trip to the local County Seat is in order. You should be able to view a map of land grants and deeds there.

Many County Auditor's have plat maps online for viewing and printing. Good resource to find out who owns a piece of property.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

check your local library college and public

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

The local forest service office or your state department of natural resources may have some maps in the local offices or for free online, that may include topo lines. I know some are better than others, but some are pretty good. Most have property borders as the don't want you pissing off the neighbors. I remember a map I got at a state park in Florida telling me to wear orange and not to go past the trail on the one side as it ran down the property border and they would be hunting on the other side. I belive I've seen a few others with warnings about property to avoid, but never so explicit. Erich

Blog Entries

topozone and terraserver both have online topo maps, but you get little pieces of the world, not whole quads. The USGS did not, last I checked, have free maps, nor does the US Forest Service or BLM. You might consider mapping software, such as National Geographic's topos or something similar.

As for not changing--it always does. The boundaries of properties, even federal lands, get surveyed and land lines (and maps) updated. The county plat maps change even faster, as land gets bought and sold.

Remember, it is the responsibilty of the sportsman to know whose land they are on, and NOT the responsibility of the landowner to make their boundaries obvious.

DG

Another option is to look at your County's GIS web page and evaluate the tax rolls. This will indicate ownership; i.e. public vs. private. Many of the GIS programs have relatively current satallite layers with the plat map overlaid. Just a little bit of creativity and homework and you are well on your way. Good luck

DOn't forget Google Earth for a great view of streams. MAny times you can find submerged islands in the photos!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread