+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reddington RS3 rods

Default Reddington RS3 rods

Hi all,
    Quick question. Do any of you guys (and gals) have feedback on the Reddington RS3 rod? I needed (ok, wanted) a new 7wt rod and saw Cabelas had them closing out (I guess the RS4 is coming out). I picked up a 9' 7wt 4 piece rod for what I considered a decent price.

I've never cast an RS3 before. I figured for the price if I don't like it, I can always sell it and not take a complete bath on the resale.

Are they really fast rods or more of a medium action? Compared to a Sage SLT or a Scott G2? (my 3wt is the sage and my 5wt is the Scott).

I'll be using it mainly on the lakes and ponds for bass and bluegill. Maybe someday steelhead if I ever decide to drive 5 or 6 hours to stand waste deep in freezing water just to catch a fish (it does sound like a load of fun though, I am just crazy enough to give it a try).

So, any feedback on the rod will help me pass the time until Christmas.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Reddington RS3 rods

I just bought a 4-piece 4wt. Very nice. It's a medium action rod. Feels slightly faster than medium however. I landed 6 bass yesterday with it and 10 trout a fews days before that.

Actually "standing in cold water" is much warmer than you may think. Waders with fleece underneath is very warm.....actually at times.......hot!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I bought a 6wt 2 piece this past spring. excellent rod. feels medium, loads well, I cast fairly well with it.
    I used a Sage like you mentioned for a day last summer, and the Reddington compares to it.( I think )
    I like the rod very much. wouldn't mind having one of the 3's for some of the brookie streams I like to fish.
    My last 6 was a G Loomis I had that met a terrible fate under the wheels of a Chevy one sad day, and I like the Reddington better...................................ModocDan

I thought that's the only kinda water there is to stand in while swingin a flyrod .M.D.
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Blog Entries

Sage bought out Redington, So the newer RS4 might have some sage genes in it when it comes out, or already has, idk.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

I was given a RS3 2 pc 6 wt as a tip a couple years ago. It has since been my main rod for chucking streamers on a sink tip. I really like the rod and the way it loads and throws my sink tip. However, on a recent float it broke at the feril (sp). The people at Reddington said to send it in and they will take care of it. If they did not replace it I would most likely get another one.

I have the 9' seven weight 4pc. I think it is a very nice rod and use it for steelhead. My buddy (Montana Moose) has cast it ( a far better caster than I) and called it a rocket. I broke the tip a while back; I'm pretty sure I hit it with a heavy fly on a backcast and before long it broke. I sent it in to Reddington and within the week had it back good as new. Funny thing was, when the rod came back the box had a return address that said it was from Sage. I also have a 9' Sage 7wt. 4pc and could not tell the difference in the way they cast. I actually bought a 15 foot Reddington spey rod too.
    Happy casting.
    Gary

Thanks for the input. Can't wait to Christmas morning to try out my new rod. Heck, I may even go fishing on Christmas (definately try the week after).

I wonder how many fly fishers are going to be standing in their yards casting new rods on Christmas morning

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I'm 100 yards from the North Umpqua river. Practice?

I fish with Redington products and I swear by the RS3 4 weight I use. Great little rod that does it all at a great price. I'm sold on it! For the money probably one of the top 3 rods you can buy. It does feel great and perform.

Anyone have input regarding the Redington RS3 or the new RS4 double-handers? THX in advance.

Marty

+ Reply to Thread