+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis Rocky Mountain Reel ?

Default Orvis Rocky Mountain Reel ?

I've got a chance to help a fella out who was recently laid off (and get a little something for myself while I'm at it) and wanted to get some opinions here. This gentleman is selling a lot of his stuff, and I'm confident it is well taken care, including a Rocky Mountain Reel by Orvis. This is NOT the new Rocky Mt. Turbine LA, but the original Rocky Mt. I have no experience with this reel and can't seem to find a lot of stuff online. I did find a little from epinions.com and the three reviews were pretty positive, but I figured someone here had probably fished with one or at least knew someone who had. I also found someone say that these reels ran about $165 brand new. This one is up for $50. What experiences have you/they had with this reel?

I'd like to help this guy out, but don't know much about the reel. Thanks!
    Leave No Trace

Default Re: Orvis Rocky Mountain Reel ?

I have the original Rocky Mountain reel in a 5/6. I bought it new from the old Orvis store (closed down probably 8 years ago). It is a nice reel, but nothing grand. New it went for $60-70, and spools for about $13.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

3. Default Re: Orvis Rocky Mountain Reel ?

these were the Orvis starter reels about 8 years ago (or so).... I seem to remember a plastic cassette system so "spare spools" were less than $15 & the reels was new about $65 or $70 (if this old memory is working..). don't think the $165 price is accurate.
    later,
    an Oregonian

If it's the Orvis Rocky Mountain large arbor reel (mostly dark green spool and frame), they retailed for $79 when I bought mine 5 years ago. It performed well for the three years I had it. The only reason I don't use it anymore is that I wanted something I could use in saltwater. I sold it for a friend and it's worked well for him since.

I used a 6wt for my main bugger chucking rod for 5 or 6 years and it worked well. I agree with those who said that they retailed for well less than $100.00. My real has also stood up to being used by many of my clients in the boat. Cosmetically, it looks all beat up ( several years in a drift boat will do that), but it still works.

Bought the 5/6, new (many years ago) for about $69.00 with cassettes for $13.00. Still use it today with no complaints. Good line holder with a decent drag.

Bill

I bought 2 of the older design, one for myself and one for a friend. We both use the 7/8 for salmon fishing in NY. I have also used mine in Alaska. At first it doesn't seem like much of a reel and the drag is too weak. This reel has been perfect. The only real complaint is that my friend must have fell on it and the reel has loosened up from the foot. I am going to fix it with some epoxy (and some small screws if need be). I have one of the spare cassettes and am looking for one more. I would say it is worth the $50. I think I paid either $79 or $89 for the 7/8 on sale.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with some of the value assessments on this one. My first reel was one of the original Rocky Mountains, and I just went back through my old catalogs (my wife is so thrilled that I keep these dumb things around!) and the last time it appeared was in 2003. Prices were $69, $75 and $79 at that time, depending on the line rating, and as I recall it wasn't too hard to find them on sale periodically for less - as Orvis still tends to do with their reels today. In any event, in my experience, they were what they were priced to be: inexpensive, entry level reels. They were painted, cast aluminum, and the paint quickly and easily wore/scratched off. While that was simply unsightly, the biggest problem I experienced was that the drag would not stay set. The drag knob was a small, seemingly inexpensive assembly and it just didn't stay put at the tension it was initially set for. If you subscribe to the "reel is just a line holder" theory, than this can probably get the job done, though there's no way I'd pay $50 for an older reel that wasn't all that special when it was new. While I have and am happy with some of the mid-range Orvis reels (BBS and BBS mid-arbor), I'm not familiar with their newer entry-level models. From what I've seen of them, I'd buy a Ross Flystart reel all day long for that same $50 and be confident that I had a much better constructed reel. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by John_N
    From what I've seen of them, I'd buy a Ross Flystart reel all day long for that same $50 and be confident that I had a much better constructed reel. Good luck!
    I have to agree with John. I had a Rocky Mountain Reel. Purchase a Ross Flystart or the TFO Prizm for that same $50. They'll be new and twice the reel.

+ Reply to Thread