+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandals for saltwater wading

Default Sandals for saltwater wading

I'm looking for a pair of wading shoes/sandals for wading saltwater. Right now I have the booties, they are allright except after a little time of walking out of the water I quickly develop blisters. I was looking at getting a very expensive pair of wading sandals, Simms, like $90.00. Anyone own these and can you walk on them for say a day or a week without developing blisters. I really want to get a good pair of shoes for wading the flats.

Thanks

Default Re: Sandals for saltwater wading

I have a pair of Keen Newport H2's that I wear in saltwater on a limited basis. Keen makes the Simms sandals, so they are very similar. The problem with sandals is they give you no protection from stingrays or oyster bars and are a problem when wading on soft bottoms. I use them only for hard sandy bottoms. My preferred wading boot is the Simms Flats Sneakers. They give you good protection and support and are very comfortable to wear (plus you don't look like a dork when you are out of the water).
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Do you blisters from them?

Jkilroy;
    I've been super impressed with my Korker's brand "Torrent" shoes.
    Since they have 6, different, types of soles to choose from and all are interchangeable, I've wadded the flats in them, over coral, shells, etc, then; when leaving the water, I pop in the "street style sole" or actually it's the "hiking sole" and wear them the rest of the day.

You can see them and read about them on Korker's web site, a lot more than I can bore you with!! But, they're a great all around shoe, built like a tenny runner and wear like a boot. I also wear the Korker's regular style wading boot, when fishing in my stocking foots in fresh water, and have been very impressed with those too, now, for several years.
    Just another, "option"!?!

http://korkers.com/product.php?recKey=24
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

i use a pair of cabelas flats booties, they lace up and offer good protection from rays etc. since they lace up like sneaker, they dont slide up and down on your feet and cause blisters

Quote Originally Posted by dunfly
    The problem with sandals is they give you no protection from stingrays or oyster bars and are a problem when wading on soft bottoms.
    jkilroy....
    Patagonia Marlwalkers. They are bulletproof and will give your foot the proper support that it needs in any type of terrain. Wether on land or sea.
    The old style are better than the new ones and can be picked up cheap on eBay.
    Hope this helps,
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

I have used the Simms flats sneakers and I have worn them plenty. If I get a rub spot, I'll wear a pair of light socks, but generally I have not had problems.

I have had no problems with the Simms Flats Sneakers, although I do typically wear a pair of light socks with them. They feel like wearing high top basketball shoes. I also have a pair of Patagonia Marlwalkers. While they are bulletproof, they are heavy and uncomfortable to me.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I don't know if the sneakers are for me, I'd like something that dries fast because sometimes I only get one day to fish, then i'm packing my bag the next morning. The Bass pro booties I have take longer than overnight to dry. I was really looking at the sandals. How fast do the sneakers dry? Do you have to wear socks to prevent blisters?

My Korker's Torrents, if I come in from fishing then walk around town, sit and have a sidewalk "samich", etc, in other words.............. "If I stay in the warm sunshine", will dry on my feet,(without wearing any socks), in about 2-3 hours, sometimes even less, depending on the weather.

Just "tossing them, into my hotel's bathtub", after rinsing them in fresh water after fishing and NOT walking around in them, then they have always been bone dry by the next morning. (That would be, say, something like stop fishing at 3PM- rinse out in fresh water, right after that, then allowed to sit until about 7AM the next morning).

You brought up a very good point about traveling and flats wading boots, "being dry to fly home with". I've arrived home a few times with suitcase items all wet from "still wet" wading shoes!! Although, now, I do use a "dry bag", to put my flats shoes in, whether they're dry or not. (I don't like SAND in the rest of my gear, either!)
    Hope this helps!
    Paul
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread