+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fresh Water Species

Default Fresh Water Species

QUESTION No. 1; How many different fresh water species have you caught in your fishing life???
    Species of Salmon, Trout and Warm Water Species.

QUESTION No. 2; What was your surprise species of fish ( Salt or Fresh), you caught this year??

Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default Re: Fresh Water Species

Let's see...

Question 1: Rainbow trout, brook trout, white bass, striped bass, hybrid bass (wiper), Largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, crappie (black and white), bluegills, green sunfish, redears, pumpkinseeds, various othe sunfishes, walleye, northern pike, drum, gar, channel catfish, bullhead, carp, bighead carp, buffalo, golden shiner, grass carp, chubs (various species), suckers (various as well). Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head, and all have been caught at one time or another on the flyrod. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but you get the idea.

Question 2: For my bachelor party we went to a farm pond (yeah, I know, she let me fish on the morning of our wedding, too. Ain't life grand?) and we caught walleye where only bass, sunfish, and catfish were supposed to be.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Doug:

Question #1. Don't know. Being a career soldier I have fished in a lot of places. I caught some ugly fish in South Korea, some slimey ones in Vietnam and one with long wiskers in Thailand to name a few. Also spend 5 years in Alaska where I caught all 5 species of salmon.

Question #2. For this year. Was fishing a small pond in Modoc County, California. Started catching something that I thought was a cross between a gill and a pumpkinseed. When I got home & checked my fish book I determined they were green sunfish. I don't ever remember ever catching them before but I may have when I was stationed in Virginia.

Tim

PS - Caught 13 different species on a fly this year - including one ugly bullhead.

Blog Entries

Q1: Rainbow trout, Brook trout, Brown trout, Cutthroat trout, Largemouth bass, black bass, spotted bass, bluegill, redears, green sunfish, Carp, suckerfish, White crappie, Black Crappie, and some others that im blanking on I think.

Q2: a 16pound catfish on a PTN.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Not to sure about all the stuff I have caught in freshwater. many many species. Notable exception is a Brown trout.. Too far north I guess.

#2 . thats easy a Salmon shark 50 miles up the Fraiser river where they are not supposed to be. And a tiny Sturgeon near Cranbrook 50 years ago.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

Fresh water species? Baldcypress, Shumard Oak, Black Gum, Black Willow, River Willow, Red (a.k.a. River) Birch. If you want to push the definition fresh water species, Silver Maple, Sycamore (Plane Tree for the British among us), Cottonwood, Quaking Aspen, Northern Whitecedar, Alder, Tamarack (Larch) &, I think, Black Spruce. A pretty fair tally, all in all...

Ed, a diiferent sort of "tree hugger"

Blog Entries

I am not sure on #1, been several years since I wrote up a list, but I recall somewhere between 30 and 40.

The most startling fish I have caught lately were the (4" long) green sunfish that took a bugger on the Gunnison this summer (down from the warm water in the North Fork, no doubt), and the "Oh SH**, what did I hook?" 10# carp in the same spot a couple months later. Gotta love desert trout water.

I'm not looking to add to this list, never have been, but occasionally I catch something new.

Good, God, Douglas!! WHY, do you like to tax old people's weak brains?

Without digging out 30 some years of fishing logs, I'm going to say "All the trout species, in North America, except a Golden", a quest I yet to fulfill, someday soon.
    Salmon, Sturgeon, Flounder, Sea Perch, Sea Bass, Barracuda, Bones and Tarpon. Had on a Peacock Bass, once, almost to my feet but suddenly gave it a "long line release", when the tippet gave out.

"Strangest", or, "Most uncommon", would be a Sand Shark on a crab fly. MEAN, little buggers, with TOOTHES!

Oh. And I did catch a bad cold when fishing once in Canada.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

1: Freshwater Species Caught, including anadromous species:

Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Golden Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Brook Trout, Lake Trout, Silver (Coho) Salmon, King Salmon, Striped Bass, Black Crappie, Golden Shiner, Bluegill, Green Sunfish, Chub, Channel Catfish, Walleye, Northern Pike, Arctic Greyling, sucker, Barramundi

2: Surprise catch of the year

No surprises this year.

+ Reply to Thread