+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishin' around San Diego ??

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Default Fishin' around San Diego ??

Hey Y'all ! We have two grown daughters living in San Diego these days. We're headed that way at Christmas this year for a few days. Question I have is about charter boats for deep sea fishin' off the coast there, maybe whale watchin'. No I ain't talkin flyfishin', but this is fun, all the same. And my family ain't all fishermen, sorry to say. I'm totally unfamiliar with the area and what it offers for ocean fishing charters, and such. Used to have a boat with my Dad, moored at Crescent City, CA, for a couple years back in the late 70's, so I'm not a total rookie to the ocean fishin' scene, but it's been many years, and I'm from up Oregon way now, so I'm a bit of a newbie to it now. Hopin' some of you guys out there maybe have a little experience down that way, and could point me in the right direction. I don't wanna just walk in like a green rookie, all fuzzy cheeked and wet behind the ears. I'm thinking of a family daytrip, two little granddaughters and all........................................thanks. .....................Dan from Modoc
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Default Re: Fishin' around San Diego ??

You should ask this question of San Diegans.

http://www.garybulla.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6

That is a message board for San Diego fly fishers they would be better able to answer your question.

Dan, look up H&M Landing or Fishermans Landing. You should find whatever you are looking for there. The Fisherman III i think is still running 1/2 or 3/4 day trips at this time of year. Good skipper too.
    Rich
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Also check out www.seaforthlanding.com

The ocean can get very snotty during the winter months, though warm days and low swells are not unusual.

Most of the ocean fishing on charters at this time of the year will be bottom fishing for various rock fish. My favorite are sculpin, with have very poisonous spines but the meat is very tasty, almost sweet. Deckhands on the charters know how to handle these fish. All of the charter landings have rental gear available and can sell you the necessary licenses.

Whale watching trips typically start right around Christmas and the schedules for Seaforth and H&M should be on their websites soon if not already there.

Also check www.sdfish.com for links and message boards.

you might try this place also:

http://www.bluewatertackle.com/
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

thanks fellas, I'll check these out today..................ModocDan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

+ Reply to Thread