+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater @ 5wt.?

Default Saltwater @ 5wt.?

Sorry, but I was bored and went to GFF forum. Found a thread there that was extensive and revealing. Those Scandanavians use a 5wt. in salt. The faint of heart use a 6!!!!

Anyone ever tried a 5wt. for salt?

Jim

Default Re: Saltwater @ 5wt.?

I've used a 5wt in salt, but most 5wts lack the necessary backbone to control a larger fish and land it in a reasonable amount of time. The lightest rod I use is a 6wt with good backbone (Scott Heliply).
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

30 some odd years ago I fished the salt with my Garcia 6wt and a Medalist reel
    Mickyfinns and Black-nose Dace bucktails
    It's what I had so that's what I used

Now I know enough to use a rod that has the backbone to land the largest fish I'm likely to hook

In northern Europe they fish for sea bass. I've been told that a 10# fish is worth a three day hangover
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I use a 6 wt in the surf when I am after specs. It is just fine for most specs and spanish macks in my area of the coast. There is always a risk of tieing into something bigger, unfortunately that has never happened to me. One of the reasons I like the 6 as opposed to using an 8 wt is that I can throw the 6 all day long and the 8 wt starts to wear on me after a few hours.

Hey, I can see using a 6wt. If it's a decent rod with some backbone there's no reason you can't play and land schoolie stripers, blues, etc. And, as you know, there are some 5wts. with backbone. Half the members of this board deride Orvis rods for being too "stiff"!

I don't think you need 9,10 and up....there's one fellow here in NJ that wrote a book on Jersey salt and his minimum recommendation is a 10wt!!!! Huh?
    C'mon, that 52" striper is rare.

I would love to snag a striper or blue; I was taken to the salt four times in past years...zip. And, the trip is based on tides, winds, location, time of day/night, and on and on.... And, those times that all the stars are in alignment, you get there and the birds are 400 yards off shore!?!? Double-haul ain't gonna help you here.

Anyway, here's the link to the post, it's interesting.

http://www.globalflyfisher.com/forum...opic.php?t=259

Regards, Jim

"Big fish are different than little fish.
    If you try to catch big fish using little fish methods then you will continue to have the success that you are having now. Most fly-fishermen overlook this. "
    Ken Abrams
    Lou Tabory, in his ground breaking book "Inshore Fly Fishing" advocates using an 11wt
    The choice is yours
    I like catching big fish
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Howdy Jim,

My favorite rig is a Sage VT2 691-4, I really like the VT2 series from Sage, paired up with an Ross Evolution, it is wicked (in a good way) Back this summer I used a 4 wt to harass the Ladyfish in shin deep water, now that was fun. A poor mans tarpon on the fly all of 18" to 20", then again I am easily amused.

Hey Bryan,

Am I correct in assuming the VT2 series took the place of the old VPS series from Sage?

How's the 691 handle? The description says the VT2 series has different actions depending on rod size (not all med-fast, etc). I currently have 4 XP's and I like that feel and action, however, with WF4 they are fast and with GPX WF5 they are med-fast.

Jim

Howdy Jim,

I do believe the VT2 did replace the VPS, but I don't know how the two compare. The handle on the 691 has anodized aluminium reel seat with a fighting butt. I like it.

As for rod action my 6 wt is not quite as fast as my buds XP, but it is pretty close, very smooth. My 4 wt is a bit slower than a 4 wt XP, but again nice smooth rod. I would like to try a 8 wt VT2 some day, I do have an 8 wt XP and love it.

5 and 6wts are often used in the bays of Southern California for various species. Most fish taken in the bays are less than 5lbs, though larger fish are possible. A few anglers use 5 and 6wts in the surfzone also. 6 and 7 wts are used much more often than 5wts though, mostly because they handle heavier/denser sinking lines better than a 5wt.

+ Reply to Thread