+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating a Banty Rod - Help

Default Re: Creating a Banty Rod - Help

RS1:

A banty is a rod short bamboo rod typically built from the upper two sections of a 3 piece old production bamboo rod that HOPEFULLY was not an expensive or classic collectible bamboo rod.

I have seen lots of variants and lengths and even some one piece rods made from longer two piece rods. Quite a few folks I have met have made some real beauties with ZERO bamboo rod making, (splitting, planing, gluing) skills. The trick as evidenced by this thread is figuring out what a formally three piece 9'0" 7 weight becomes when it is a 6 foot or longer rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    RS1:

A banty is a rod short bamboo rod typically built from the upper two sections of a 3 piece old production bamboo rod that HOPEFULLY was not an expensive or classic collectible bamboo rod.

I have seen lots of variants and lengths and even some one piece rods made from longer two piece rods. Quite a few folks I have met have made some real beauties with ZERO bamboo rod making, (splitting, planing, gluing) skills. The trick as evidenced by this thread is figuring out what a formally three piece 9'0" 7 weight becomes when it is a 6 foot or longer rod.
    Bamboozle, the banty rods I've heard about were true rods built small. That's where I got confused. I would think an old 8' or 9' 2 or 3 pc 7w rod would still be a 7w rod if you're only using the middle and top sections. or a tip section if it was a 2 pc. And it's just part of a taper that belonged to the original rod. Not a true banty taper.
    Am I wrong in thinking this? Or just getting to technical.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

Quote Originally Posted by RS1
    Bamboozle, the banty rods I've heard about were true rods built small. That's where I got confused. I would think an old 8' or 9' 2 or 3 pc 7w rod would still be a 7w rod if you're only using the middle and top sections. or a tip section if it was a 2 pc. And it's just part of a taper that belonged to the original rod. Not a true banty taper.
    RS1:

The only really short rods I've ever run across that were built that way intentionally had glorious tapers and names to go along with them like "Fairy, Flea or Midge". I am unaware of folks using the term banty to describe those rods but I'm wrong at least 50% of the time and I'm not a meteorologist.

As far as the line weight thing goes; I have no idea I only fish, I don't build rods. Most banty rods I have messed with started out as heavier and slower rods to begin with so they seemed to feel right as lighter line banties while ending up a lot faster than some of the legendary short built rods I have fished and own. But I am the furthest thing from an expert on banties since I've only cast a few and never built nor owned one.

I think it is a cool concept and a great hobby for the guys who do it; not to mention an honorable way to utilize some rods that may have been real dogs to begin with.

I fish a sweet 6' 5" banty rebuilt from a 9 ' Sharpes of Aberdeen. The fellow I bought it from teaches rodbuilding and I got this fine instrument for $38.00 delivered. It fishes a DT2F or a WF3F just right. I use it for my small stream dry fly rod. It is my sole bamboo rod and I tell you that using it makes me want more bamboo rods. There is a feeling of control that I really like. Build your banty and you will be delightfully surprised. It will probably toss a 5 wt line but you will have fun "sighting" it in to see what works best.

I guess I am with RS1 on this. The Banty's I have come across were BUILT that way from scratch, so that the taper and the flex were perfect for it's size.
    When I first heard of someone buying a Monty three piece 9' only to take the top two sections and build a smaller rod, my reaction was rrrriiiiiggghhhttt The taper and action has got to be all messed up and I feel there would not be any backbone in the butt section. This person also refered to it as a Banty, which I really thought they were joking, but I hear it more and more now. PERSONALLY, I call them remodels (which is not a bad thing)
    The rods you mentioned Bamboozle were built from scratch that way. I find the flea a little stiffer than I like but I can get use to it, but there again, I feel the backbone in the butt.

I guess I am a stickler for calling things by their name like FLY POLE. Everyone mentions their BANTY's are rebuilt from other rods, why not just call them that REBUILDS. Just my opinion, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose
    Hello SteveW, there's also the option of creating a separate handle that the mid and tip sections plug into. In this way you can easily make the 6'6" into a 7' or a bit more if you like.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    I have to say that I like this idea the best because building the grip on the old bamboo blank mades the job irreversible for all ages to come. For sentimental reasons, I would like to keep the possibility of restoring the original on the table whether it ever happens or not. For your own part, you wind up with the advantage of having a rod that can be configured two ways. Besides, what if it just does not work as a Banty? And what if one of your descendents wants a vintage bamboo 9' for 8 wt?

BTW I think banty comes from "Bantam," any of various breeds of very small domestic fowl that are often miniatures of members of larger breeds. Banty is a slang variation meaning miniature. So it fits when applied by analogy to any short light rod-AKA, flea rod, ultra light rod, midge rod, spring creek rod, bush rod, or whatever other catchy title marketers dream up for short small caliber rods.

Just my 2 cents...
    Bear742

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    I find the flea a little stiffer than I like but I can get use to it, but there again, I feel the backbone in the butt.
    The Orvis bamboo flea is stiff?? Mine which is serial number 78419 is about as slow as it gets. It was made to throw a 4wt and most people who have tried it swear it's a 2wt.

I LOVE it whatever you call it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    Quote Originally Posted by RS1
    RS1:

The only really short rods I've ever run across that were built that way intentionally had glorious tapers and names to go along with them like "Fairy, Flea or Midge". I am unaware of folks using the term banty to describe those rods but I'm wrong at least 50% of the time and I'm not a meteorologist.

r

I think it is a cool concept and a great hobby for the guys who do it; not to mention an honorable way to utilize some rods that may have been real dogs to begin with.

[/quote
    With your last sentence, it sums it all up. Great analysis.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

+ Reply to Thread