+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tryin to invent a new fly design

Blog Entries

Default tryin to invent a new fly design

ok, i saw something a loooooong time ago, and i just remembered about it and ahve been thinking, and would like to make a fly that imitates this.
    before i started flyfishing and was just a baitcaster, one time i decided id try to use a frog as bait. i hooked it through the legs and cast out as i was told, so that the frog would still be alive and so it would still have the action. i did that for a few minutes but i started to feel kind of bad. as i put it, (my dad was teaching me this) i was literally "casting its soul away". so after a little bit, i didnt get any fish, so i let it go. so as i let it go, it tried to swim away, but slowly started to sink. it tried to kick back up to the surface and got a little ways, but then just started sinking back down again. it got a little ways from the boat doing this for about 10 feet, and then some big ol bass came and inhaled it.
    so basically, im trying to create a fly that does this action. pretty much the action of a drowning frog. (just about the exact opposite movement of a dahlburg diver). so im thinking what im going to do, is pretty much make some deerhair creation, but with lead weight unless i can think of something else, and im just having a hard time coming up with the head shape that wil recreate this action. im hoping for a shape, that with the lead weight, will make it slowly sink, and when you strip it, it will wiggle and come UP to the surface, then sink back down. i dont know of any bass baits or flies that do this but if you do, leaving any info would be much appreciated.
    thanks for any help

Default Re: tryin to invent a new fly design

http://www.sea-ex.com/recreational1/fly1.htm#FLY%20NAME:%20%20Frog%20(Bass)

Al Campbell; http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...te/part40.html

Messinger Frog; http://www.americanflyfishing.com/Fl...nger+Frog.html

The 'Foam Frog'; http://www.fish4flies.com/Lures/Terr...pers/Foam_Frog

Here is my pick for best Frog Fly; Dry Rind Frog; http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...id=0107&bhcp=1 And it's only $1.95!!!

Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

it tried to kick back up to the surface and got a little ways, but then just started sinking back down again.
    ...which describes many sinking flies on a floating line and relatively short leader. Think of a fly like a Super Silver Minnow, that is weighted with lead wrap. If you let it sit, it sinks slowly, the mallard flank wing causing a slow wobbling drop, especially when the weight is well centered. When the retrieve is started, it planes upward due again to the mallard wing. All depends on what is used for weight, and where it is placed on the fly.

He, he, he, he...call me evil, but IMHO there is nothing that can replace a good old live frog for big bass and night-time walleyes. OMG, is that a lot of fun. Evil, evil, evil...he, he, he, he. We do that all the time up in Canada, along with our fellow evil & wicked fishermen using non-fly gear.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Floating bug--short leader--sink-tip line
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Well I have no idea if it would work, but what I envision would be a sort of upside down diving fly. On a regular dalhberg diver, the top half of the fly's head is slanted to make it dive when retreived, and the bottom is basically flat. My idea would be to make your deerhair fly so that the bottom half of the head was slanted and the top half was flat, so the head would basically look like a dalhberg diver turned upside down. The trick I think would be to keep the fly in this orientation all the time, which would require careful weighting, but if you can do it then I think the fly would wiggle and rise when stripped.

Blog Entries

yeah thats what i was thinking at first, but then, id have to tie it with the hook riding up and im not sure how id do that. what im thinking is kind of a weighted plane wing shape sorta thing. i will expiriment around

Blog Entries

Half the fun is getting there.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Bend-back Hair Bug with lead wraps down the shank should do the trick, with jerky strips.
    Or better yet, Bend-back with two large tungsten beads able to slide and 'click', but place a thread wrap 'stop' below half way down the shank. May add some rattle to your drowning frog. I would probably coat the stop with 5 minute epoxy before allowing the beads to touch it though.

I may have to try this myself!
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

+ Reply to Thread