+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobbin cradle

Default Bobbin cradle

Anybody out there that can help me. I recently spoiled myself by buying a Renzetti 4000 rotary vice. The bobbin cradle looks hugely impressive but I cannot work out how or when to use it - logic tells me it should be positioned at 90 degrees to the vice head but when it is in this position it just gets in my way - to preserve my sanity I have removed it but would really appreciate tips on how to use it properly.

Default Re: Bobbin cradle

The Bobbin Cradle is positioned to hold your bobbin, only when using the rotation feature of your vise, or, for anytime, you want both hands free.
    As pictured, below, the bobbin is in the correct position for rotary tying.
    When you're ready to rotary tie materials onto your fly, half hitch, or whip finish about two turns and then pull enough thread from your bobbin to lay it over the black plastic "thread wheel" of the bobbin cradle. This keeps the thread from "winding up on the hook shank" as you rotate the vise, applying your materials.
    By the way, the picture shows the "thread guide/wheel", quite a ways from the jaws of the vise. This distance will become a personal preference really and will also depend on the length of the hook you're tying on.
    Have fun!
    Paul
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have the Traveler model and find that the thread rest position is always changing (in or out) depending on the type of fly I'm tying, the materials I'm working with, and a number of other variables. The only constant with the thread post, is that it be in a horizontal line with the shank of the hook. If it's raised above or lowered below this plane, there is a tendency to begin wrapping the thread around the hook shank. Also, if you use this feature frequently, be sure to place the jaws in the proper position so the hook shank rotates as closely to the center of the axle on the head. If the hook shank is above or below center, you will get an eccentric rotation.

Just my 2 cents

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Perhaps you are trying to keep the bobbin cradle in the same place all the time. If that's the case, you might prefer to do what many do. Tighten the cradle so that it can rotate around the vise stem if you desire it to do so but also so that it isn't too loose. You want a friction fit. Then rotate it back and out of the way until you need it. I do this on almost every fly I tie. My apologies if you already knew this.

I use the cradle to hang my new flies on while the cement dries. Works just right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenfish
    I use the cradle to hang my new flies on while the cement dries. Works just right.
    LOL

I use those round toothpicks for drying the glue. You put the sharp tip thru the hook eye and stab the other end into a piece of foam. This does double duty as it ensures the eye is clear of glue while the glue drys.

In truth I have almost never used my cradle, it is usually just in the way.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

[size=18]Rab, Go to www.rotaryflyting.com. It has excellent videos on all techniques of rotary fly tying. Also Al Beatty, a sponsor on this site has an excellent DVD on rotary tying techniques.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Normand Guest

a link that works

http://rotaryflytying.com/

$25 subscription required to watch videos???

Thanks Norm I believe that the $25 is money well spent to learn rotary techniques, if you have a rotary vice of any kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Hi and thanks for all the info. I guess I've got some learning to do!

+ Reply to Thread