+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing journals

Default Fly fishing journals

A couple articles in the new issue this week mention journals and that got me thinking of a couple questions:

1) This one's the obvious one: How many of us really keep a detailed journal of our fishing experiences?

2) The one that really interests me: What do each of you consider the most important details you log in your journal?

I've kept a fishing journal for a couple years now. When I started I went whole hog and wrote down everything, bugs observed, temps (air and water) flies used, equipment, and so on. As my journal has grown, I've found myself concentrating more on who I fished with, interesting discussions and/or events, weather, fish caught (types rather than numbers and size), and I'll often include a memorable snashot if one is available. I still note the little things if they are new, different, or offer some insight for future fishing, but I worry less about the details and more about the memories these days.

I look forward to hearing everyone elses take on this!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Default Re: Fly fishing journals

You are wise too keep a Journal/ Diary. It will mean more to you in the future than if you just limit it to water temp and hatches info.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Evey year TU sends me a free calander
    I've found it's the perfect place to jot down a couple of items about a day out
    Where I went, the weather, and any hatches is pretty much all that fits
    It's not really a journal, more of a reminder.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I have done it on three occasions, and swore at the end of all three stints I would never again do so. Even for a bottle of Sheep Dip. As a planning tool, I can see some merit, but my memory is still good enough to know when the PMDs are going to hatch, and it doesn't really matter if I caught 32 trout (lengths and fly taken documented) or a couple dozen on mostly BWOs, including a few nice ones...

Blog Entries

I don't keep a journal. Tried and failed at consistently logging trips into it.

But, I have a blog that I write about some of my trips that could count as a journal if you call it that...
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

I've been keeping a journal of sorts to keep track of the fishing time my son and I have spent together. Mainly, I've tried to capture my thoughts and what our time together has meant to me. I plan to someday print it out with photos I've taken and give it to him when he's a little older and can appreciate it.

I haven't kept track of what we were using or "honey holes" etc. I've mainly kept track of the emotions and our time.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I keep a calendar/diary book in my fishing jacket. Whenever I go out, I jot down where I was fishing, what fish I caught and on what fly type (dry, wet, softhackle, nymph, etc) and specific pattern, brief weather details (i.e. sunny, overcast, wind, rain, etc), and what type of water (i.e. pool, riffle, glide, lake). I try and keep track of hook ups and strikes as well. When I get home, I enter these details into a program I've written which compiles the information so if I wanted to see what flies I've had success with in Dec. on the Waihou Stream, etc, I can have my program spit out the numbers and details (say, 6 on dry, 10 on wets, 18 on softhackles, etc).

I've had fish grab my fly as it was dangling in the water while I was busy entering the details from the previous fish just caught! A friend was watching me and had a good laugh as I struggled with a fish on the line and the rod under my arm while I'm mid-stream trying to put the book and pen away so I can get the rod into hand and play the fish!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

I admire people who keep journals. Some of you even make some of us feel badly (for awhile) for not recording the memorable times spent on stream. But like my wife's occasional nagging, I'll soon get over it, forget about it and go on the way I have for the past 57 years...undocumented and insensitive (her word).

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I also use a PC based program to keep a journal and keep track of all pertinent details of every fishing trip. I jot down brief notes while fishing and update the PC when I get home. It is a LOT of work but I consider it part of the overall fishing experience.

I can graph or filter any data and can keep track of all kinds of details like what was hatching, how many fish or what species I caught, what the water levels were, weather, what rod I used, tippet size, photos, waypoints; you name it.

Its value to me is having something to go back to and remember a particular trip. I really enjoy going back in time and reliving some trips. The details may seem unimportant but it is nice to be able to KNOW what conditions were in the past.

I've kept fishing journals for more years than I'll admit to. Since I've been "39" for almost 18 years, now, I've got journals going back a few days!!

But at times it's saved me tying up the wrong fly for a trip somewhere I have planned or reminds me of what, exactly, TO TAKE with me, when I go.
    More, importantly, it's the memories with my 3 boys, a trip with a great friend, whatever.......... that makes my journal worth all the hassle some say they are. With photos to go along with many entries, on cold winter nights I can "go fishing" all over again and not leave the fire.

Personally, I have to admit, I haven't done much with this site yet, but for anyone interested in "keeping or starting a journal", there's a free fishing journal site I ran across that seems like it's pretty complete. You can add pictures, read other's journals, or keep things to yourself if you prefer.
    The site is: http://www.flyfishingnotebook.com/journals/index.php

Paul
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread