+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with rotator cuff surgery?

Default Any experience with rotator cuff surgery?

Just found out that I need rotator cuff surgery to repair my left shoulder. Trouble is I cast with the left wing.
    Anybody had the same?
    How long was recover?
    Any big problems?
    Thanx,
    ~ZM

Zeissman,
    I am a physical therapist who has worked with a large number of people who have undergone rotator cuff repair. If you have only a small tear in the cuff tendon, you may only need to have the rough spot shaved down smooth, which should allow you back to full function within a month. If you have a major tear of the cuff, your recovery could take up to 3 months (maybe even more). However, this would be full recovery, meaning you could do anything you did before. I haven't found flycasting to be all that stressful unless you are really trying hard for distance. With a major tear, at least your first month of recovery, would be passive movement only. That means your shoulder would be moved only by a continuous passive motion machine (CPM) or by a therapist. You wouldn't be allowed any active movement of the shoulder before 4-6 weeks. This is so you won't tear up the repair. I have had a few patients tear up the repair job by trying to use the arm too soon. There are, of course, many variables in recovery, i.e., the extent of repair that is done, individual healing rates, etc. Once it is safe for you to get out again, pick a spot where you are not likely to slip and fall, because I guarantee your balance won't be 100% for a while. This would be a good time to start practice casting with your right arm. Good luck with your procedure. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
    Larry Compton

Good advice from Larry! I had a major tear and my Doctor was very conservative (because he knew I'd go out early and probalby tear it worse) so I really didn't do much with my shoulder except under the watchful eye of a physical therapist and it was about 9 months before he allowed me to do all my past activities. I was sorry I'd had the surgery after month number one and happy I had it dome after month 10! Sorry I hadn't done it sooner.

No pain now and full range of motion.

Good luck and listen to the Doctor and therapist!

Greg

im actually in the process of healing from a torn labrum in my left shoulder. so far, ive had the shoulder immobilized for 4 weeks, and have one more to go. it hasnt been too painful, but i havent been able to move my arm from the elbow up for a month, now. a least they didnt have to open me up. mine was all done through arthroscopy.

the rotator cuff is a muscle, and the labrum is a soft tissue membrane in the socket of the joint. im not sure how different the healing process will be.

good luck
    ------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

[This message has been edited by tyflier (edited 01 August 2005).]

I don't know what causes it. But I too am probably going to have the surgery someday. I have trouble with boaf shoulders. If I loaf nuttin' happens. If I do physical work they both act up. Yeah, it sounds like an excuse but believe me brother...when you wake up in the night in sharp pain...that you did not have when you went to sleep....sumpin is sure wrong. Get pains when putting on a jacket....lifting or raising the arm with something in the hand....certain kinds of movements it just hits ya. The rotater cuff is actually 4 muscles as I understand it....and not just a ball and joint like the hip.

Anywhooooo.....I am glad Mr. Z started the subject. I am deeply (in the shoulders) interested in this thread and good luck to all.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Plain Old Jim (edited 01 August 2005).]

I had rotator cuff surgery about 5 years ago; my doctor said I couldn't cast for three months. Just whem the time was up, I rewarded myself with a fishing trip to Montana.

I first tore mine rotator cuff muscles when I had a motorcycle (dirt racing) accident when I was about 21 (yeah, I know I should have known better). I went over the handlebars and hit the ground with my right shoulder taking the brunt of the impact.

Too much racketball didn't help heal it. Then a couple of crashes when I was snow skiing, all where I tumbled and landed on my right shoulder. Age, as well as wear and tear just continued to break it down. The final decision to have the surgery and repair it came when I would roll over at night onto my right side and the sharp pain would wake me up.

The immobile arm/shoulder made it very difficult to sleep, brush my teeth and use TP after nature called (it was my right shoulder and I was predominately right handed). Getting dressed is pretty hard one handd and forget tying shoes! I found that while the pain pills the doctor prescribed helped, over-the-counter pain medicine was strong enough but I got the kind with a sleep aid in it for night time.

I would suggest practice using the hand/arm that won't be in the sling (prior to surgery) so you get use to doing thing with it. Especially if it's your off hand!

Hope this helps and doesn't scare you. Good luck!

Listen to the Doctor and therapist, do the exercises!

Greg

Plain Old Jim, get to your Doctor and get checked out. Severe Bursitis can often exhibit the same symptoms as a Rotator Cuff injury. Pain in the shoulder at night when you roll over on it, pain when lifting your arm etc could be Bursitis and is treatable with Cortisone and Therapy. Only a Doctor can tell and he needs x-rays and MRI's to know for sure.

Hope it's not the Rotator Cuff as that does immobilize most people for 2-3 months.

Al

i injured mine nigh onto 20 years ago, now...snowboarding. tore the labrum, and followed it up over the years with a number of dislocations and subluxations, but it never really bothered me other than stiffness and pain in the mornings.

than, about 3 months ago, i was walking down the street and lost my balance. put my arm out on the wall to catch my balance, and felt screaming pain tear through my arm. after that, my shoulder would dislocate when i tried to open doors, zip my fly, turn on the lights...little things.

my rotator cuf has a minor tear that was repaired, but the bulk of my injury is to the labrum, which causes instability in the shoulder as well as pain.

to my knowledge--

the rotator cuff is a series of sequential muscles in the shoulder that provide strength and mobility, hence "rotator". these muscles connect the bones of the upper humerous to the scapula and clavicle.

the labrum is a small membrane in the socket of the joint that acts as a suction cup, holding the ball in place.

with a torn rotator, there is pain and discomfort, and limited motion of the shoulder joint, especially "over-the-head" motions and circular motions.

with the labrum, it is a matter of instability involving pain and dislocations of the joint. ever tried to stick a ripped suction cup to a window?

both are fairly "easy" to repair depending on the severity of the tear. arthroscopic is a relatively non-invasive surgery, and if the repairs can be made completely through arthroscopy, healing time is on average 4-6 weeks, plus rehabilitation.

if the repairs cant be made arthroscopically, than the dr. must invade the shoulder and make the repairs manually, which causes a lot more pain, and can take up to 4 months to heal, plus rehabilitation.

as far as post surgery pain--

i used the prescribed painkillers for about the first week. after that, it was less a matter of pain, and more of extreme discomfort, which can be controlled using aspirin.

at the 5 week mark--i have very little pain, other than first thing in the morning, but alot of discomfort. my shoulder is exceptionally "tight", holding my upper arm closer than normal to my side. moving it is near impossible, which is fine, since im not supposed to move it for another week, anyhow. but a large amount of discomfort is the norm. at this point.

all i can say is, i hate this surgery right now, but i know that when i wake up and feel no pain, and when i do things and have no pain, and when my shoulder actually works the way it is supposed, i will be very happy that i had it done.

my recommendation is to go see a doctor, get the MRI, and have the repairs made.

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

Before and after surgery, I recommend acupuncture for the pain.

+ Reply to Thread