+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time bamboo restoration

Default First time bamboo restoration

Greetings,
    Now that winter is coming up fast here in PA, I'd like to start tackling one of the projects that I've had for a time. I'd like to restore a 50-60 year old bamboo rod. I have no idea who made the rod as well as what weight it might be. All I know is that my step-father gave me two of them that he bought at a local hardware/sporting goods store in the early 1950's. They seem to be in fairly Ok condition, but with some minor flaws like guide wrappings coming apart and the ferruls not fitting together too well. Is there any where (here or otherwise) that will take me through this step by step so I don't mess it up? Also, is it possible to convert one of the rods from a 9 footer to a 6 footer? Around here 9 ft. is actually too long. My meaning of 'by around here', I fish the Yellow Breeches, Big Spring, Letort and Clarks.
    Thanks and Good Fishin'
    Rev. Mike

Default Re: First time bamboo restoration

Hello Fishin Rev, if the finish is ok and all it needs is some wraps redone you'll only have to match the thread color (not as easy as it sounds sometimes) and map the rod on paper so you can wrap the guide back exactly where it was and with the right distances of thread from guide foot to guide foot so it looks original.

Some will chime in I'm hoping that can offer more info but for starters they'll ask for more details about the ferrules etc. One important thing is if you wish to retain its monetary value in case it's a high value rod is not to over restore it, only to do what it needs to fish. The loose ferrules may or may not be an issue but with questions from the professionals and more descriptive info from you, it won't be a huge problem ordinarily.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Rev.
    If you can send me some pics we can ID the rod and then figure out where to start.
    I've done hundreds of these and can walk you through the process.

Lets start with the rod ID.
    Any markings/names?
    color wraps
    what does the reel seat look like?
    what do the ferrules look like?
    Handle shape?
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Hey thanks for the tips guys. I'll check on the markings etc. tonight and let you know. I don't think either are very high end rods although the one is in a Hardy rod bag. I really just want to make them 'fishable' and I would love to convert one of them to a six footer. Both are three piece rods about 3' each section.
    I'll be back with the info!
    Rev. Mike

I converted my dad's 9 footer to a six without affecting the 9' by finding a ferrule that would accept the mid section and sticking that into the end of a grip, then gluing the grip and a reel seat to an old piece of graphite, voila - it's magic. The little 6 footer is light, responsive and a ball to fish with, and if it should turn out to be a valuable 9' you haven't messed it up - the only thing I did when I decided I really wanted to make it a fishing tool was to replace the bottom guide on the mid with a larger snake, but I used it for a long time without even doing that.

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate the help. Ok, here's a description of what I'm looking at.

Rod 1- green wraps with gold borders, Well's grip with silver colored metal reel seat. "Windsor" is painted in script letters on the rod above the handle. 3 piece rod, each section about 3' long joined by silver colored ferrules with two bands of knurling on the top of each female section. Two tips included.

Rod 2 (the one in the Hardy rod bag)-Blood red wraps with pale yellow borders (could be pale from age), cigar grip (with plastic still on!), gold colored metal reel seat. "L M Dicksory" or "Dichsiry" (it's difficult to read as its definately a signature and the last few letters are mere squiggles except the 'y' at the end)on the rod above the handle. 3 section rod, each section about 3' long with silver metal ferrules. 2 rod tips (one missing rod tiptop) with a red translucent ring on the inside of the tiptop hole. This one seems to be slightly lighter than rod 1.

I hope this describes them enough. I'm not real good with digital cameras (at least getting the picture out of the camera) but if need be I'll get some help from a work buddy and post them.
    Thanks again, I'm looking forward to this now!
    Rev. Mike

the first rod is a montague ..windsor i have one myself that i cut down to 7.5 ft and love it

Thanks again guys Can anyone guess on the 2nd rod?
    I read on another thread on an easy way to make one of the rods a 6'. When I get a handle and a reel seat, will I also need a piece of blank to attach everything to?
    Thanks,
    Rev. Mike

Yes, any piece of broken graphite will do to mount the handle on, as long as it is fairly the size of a butt section, and leave enough space at the rod end to put a ferrule into - you will have to measure the male end of the mid section ferrule in 64ths and get a ferrule from Anglers workshop or some other place. Get a couple of sets of the plated brass to assure a good fit. You won't need a full set of course, but I don't think you can get single female ferrules.

"L M Dicksory" or "Dichsiry" (it's difficult to read as its definitely a signature
    Rev,
    I saw this and immediately thought of Lyle Dickerson.
    If this rod was a Dickerson, you'd have a treasure
    Unfortunately, by your discription, I don't believe it is.
    Dickerson made rods that were a fast action and I believe they had half-wells grips
    Also, I believe his ferrules were "blued"
    He used chocolate brown thread wraps with black tipping
    Sorry
    Thought you'd like to know anyway
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread