+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lanesboro, MN area fishing?

Default Lanesboro, MN area fishing?

Hi everyone!

I will be camping in the Lanesboro, MN area this coming weekend and want to do some fishing. I'm not at all familiar with the area. Looking for any advice you might be willing to share. Any pointers on things such as areas to fish, time of day, fly patterns to use, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well you can start here: [url=http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/outdoor_activities/fishing/trout_streams/troutangling_southernmn.pdf:1d6fe]http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/outdoor_activities/fishing/trout_streams/troutangling_southernmn.pdf[/url:1d6fe]
    These are the maps to designated trout streams and the regs. It's a terestrial time of year so bring plent of hoppers and ants. I haven't fished that far south but the trico's have been active very early due to the heat but it is supposed to cool a little before this weekend. I like the Forestville park area and the Root can be a lot of fun. You are in a good place to start exploring.
    Have fun

Lanesboro MN, is on the South Branch of the "Root River", and there are some excellent trout streams in the area.

I would recommend "Duschee Creek" (just south of Lanesboro) "Gribben Creek" (near Whalan MN, which is 3 miles east of Lanesboro on State Hwy 16), and "Diamond Creek" (just to the east of Gribben Creek).

Duschee Creek has 8 miles of Trout Water; Brown, Brook, and Rainbow Trout are available.

Gribben Creek has 3.8 miles of Trout Water; Brown and Brook Trout are available.

Diamond Creek has 6.7 miles of Trout Water; Brown and Brook Trout are available.

All three of these streams have public access along the both sides of the stream, and there have been major habitate improvements done on these streams.

There is also excellent bass fly fishing along the Root River, and you may hook into a big Brown while you are fishing for Bass.

~ Parnelli
    Chartered Member of "Friends of FAOL"!

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
    Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too
    "Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can"
    And they swam and they swam all over the dam

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 03 August 2005).]

Good luck and watch out for the cow parsnip. The weeds are very tall this time of year. There are lots of easy places to wade both in Lanesboro and downstream of town. You will share this water with plenty of canoes and kayaks, so heed ol Steve's advice on other creeks or get out early and late. It's better fishing the Root a few hours before dark anyway.

Royce, I would go up stream from Lanesboro. Course its'been awful warm so you are going to have problems with the fish. Check the water temp. if it's over 65 those fish are just trying to stay alive. Maybe you might want to leave them alone and go look at the caves down there. If you decide to fish though keep in mind these fish are living on crayfish and sculpin and the cooler water in deep pools.
    Good luck, hope you have a good time. Report back OK?

+ Reply to Thread