+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My report on my Sage Smallmouth Bass fly rod!

Default My report on my Sage Smallmouth Bass fly rod!

Well, folks, it has taken me some time to finally get out and try the new Sage Smallmouth Bass rod I won from FAOL in the September drawing. I received the rod about the 2nd week of November and it is a real beauty! My rod building friend here played with it in his back yard and he really thought it should be a real winner for Sage. He said it was about time I got a 4 pc rod! He knows that I have always liked 2pc rods and this would be my first 4pc. I had him put alignment dots on it for me. Today the weather here was overcast, light rain and only in the 40's. I decided to drive to one of the bridges over the lake and just walk the rip rap around the bridge pilings and play with different flies with the rod. Now I know that I will not be using this rod for what Sage intended it to be used for, but, since I am a nymph, streamer, bugger fisherman, that is what I wanted to try with the rod. I had tied up some #4 streamers and buggers plus I had the #10-12's that I normanly use for trout. To begin with, I was afraid the rod would be real stiff and heavy, but, when I received it, I noticed that it only weighs 3.5 oz and it is very light in the hand. One could use it all day with no problems. I also found out that I did not own a reel that would be large enough to hold the fly line that came with the rod. Another friend of mine here had some fly fishing gear he wanted me to try and sell for him and he had a STH reel preloaded with backing and Rio 8wt floating line that he wanted $75 for so I bought it and put it on the new rod. I have not tried the fly line that comes with the rod yet nor have I tried casting any larger poppers with the rod. I did cast the larger streamer/buggers with the rod today and the smaller 10-12's I had with me. This rod with the 8wt line cast them very smoothly and with no problems! This is a very nice casting rod and I will probably never use my 6 weight again! You could cast a 10-12 size bugger a country mile! I know the rod is over kill for the rivers, but, it is so light and it casts so well that I will probably use it on the rivers and try and hunt down some of the larger rainbows and browns that I know live there. This rod feels just like fishing with my 5 weight and just knowing that it has the backbone for larger fish is a good thing. I really do like this rod and I think for the price, it is a good investment for anyone who wants a nice casting light rod that has the backbone for landing larger fish. I will be spending a lot of time with this rod. I have another warm water river here that has largemouth and smallmouth bass in it and I plan to spend more time on it and have a ball with my new Sage Smallmouth Bass rod!

I would highly recommend this rod! By the way, I did catch 2 smallmouth bass today on my new fly rod and hopefully you will be able to see one of the pictures here.

[img][/img]
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default Re: My report on my Sage Smallmouth Bass fly rod!

Nice Report Warren! That is a beautiful Rod!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Thank you Warren, nicely done.

Warren,

You lucky dog! Great report and pix.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Neat report, Warren!
    Super, picture, too! Send it to Sage for the heck of it!?! Might even get a free hat! I did it once a few years ago with a Steelhead I caught and they sent me, a hat!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Warren,
    I second that idea and if I was you I'd frame that photo and put it on your wall.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Warren just gave away the secret Go To fly for waters around here!! He did not mention that he also caught a couple of Blue Gills too.
    P.S. He's even let me cast the rod, sweet!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    Warren just gave away the secret Go To fly for waters around here!! He did not mention that he also caught a couple of Blue Gills too.
    P.S. He's even let me cast the rod, sweet!!
    Did he? Yeah, I guess that nobody would ever think about using an olive woolly bugger around here...

One fly to Rule the all,
    One fly to Find them.
    One fly to Bring them all,
    And to the tippet Bind them.

Warren, I'm glad that you had a good time with your new rod. I hope that you get to exercise some big trout, real soon.

Ed

great pic and nice report. have been eyeing one of these myself. please post an update when you have cast the rod with the line that came with it. am curious to see how it performs and if you feel it performs any differently than it did with the rio 8wt.

depenrod,

I sure am glad you asked me to try the line out that came with the Sage Smallmouth Bass rod! I removed the Rio 8wt and put on the line that came with the rod. I made up a 7 foot furled leader from Berkley 4 pound Vanish and installed a tippet ring. I then attached about 5 1/2 feet of Cabela's 6 pound test fluorocarbon for tippet. For a fly I tied up the same fly I was using yesterday, which is a bugger but without any hackle. Just an olive marabou tail with 2 pieces of emeral green flash tied in the tail and the body is olive ice chenille. Under the body there were 12 wraps of .025 lead wire for weight. I used a size 6 streamer hook.

When you compare yesterday with today, you would think I tried out 2 different rods! The line that comes with it is certainly made for the rod! With just a nice smooth stroke back and stop and a smooth stroke forward and stop, the line shoots out without any extra effort from you the caster! I even tried a bead head bugger with the same results. When I say you do not need to apply any effort, I mean you do not need to push the line any. It will flow like hot butter through the guides. If you apply any pressure the line will slap the rod close to the stripping guide when it has cast all the line you had stripped out of the reel! Just a smooth casting stroke is all it takes and 30 feet of line is gone! Everything turned over beautifully from the fly line, furled leader, tippet and fly and the fly lands straight out in front. I do not consider myself a good fly caster, but, this rod makes me look real good at casting! I did manage to catch 2 crappie that were around the 14" mark and then the rain, wind and cold air just got to be too much and I came home. Overall, this Sage Smallmouth rod with its own line casts like a dream and it also handled the 8wt line very well, but, nothing compared to how it casts with the line that comes with it! The 8wt Rio line I was using was not marked and the gentleman I purchased the STH Cayuga M reel from said it was an Rio 8wt line. I did put a fly line scale on my Christmas list and if "Santa" brings it, I plan to check the line plus several others I have that I cannot remember what size they are!!

The Sage Smallmouth Bass rod with its own line is a really good deal and it is one fantastic rod to use. I would recommend it to anyone. I really like it and will get many enjoyable trips out of it.

Thanks to Sage and FAOL for this fantastic opportunity!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread