+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Finest Components"

Default Re: "Finest Components"

Finest components. It very well can be. Finest is definitive. Compare the 'finest components that Asia has to offer' to the finest handbuilt by (insert name here)______________. Or it could be the finest he has in his bathroom cabinet. Name brand does mean something sometimes I think. It's a reputation for them. But Struble has cheap hardware and expensive.
    Now Jacksters cork grip and fighting butt looks mighty fine, and it's the best he's ever seen. It looks like the best I've ever seen too (just by the photo). I don't know where he got it but I'm guessing it's not factory cork.
    What's the url for the rod on ebay?
    Finest components to me might mean something different to someone else.
    Shamberg skeleton hardware
    Snake brand guides and tip top, with your choice in color agate stripper
    Jacksters cork
    Today, amboyna burl reel seat (might change next week)
    Threadmaster epoxy
    __________ rod blank
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    I actually think there's NO definitive answer to this question. Just because "name" brands are stated is not an accurate way of assuming quality. All it proves is that advertising works. The mentioning of name brands also answers some anticipated questions but a leap from that to the assumption/conclusion of quality is purely subjective. If there is no standard of perfection against which something could be measured , all is opinion. There are standards and accepted standards. The former is like the Bureau of Weights and Measures and is indisputable. The latter is accepted by a preponderance of respected professional opinions in a specific field, more merit but still not indisputable.
    I remember as a small boy, just having come from Escanaba MI to Chicago, I saw an ad " Silvercup IS the BEST bread". I told my mother about that ad for FEAR she might not see it and buy a brand which was NOT the "best".

Mark
    This is exactly how I grew up!, believing popular Brands were the Best! Think outside the box and don't be programmed! Manufacturers will make the SAME product and put different labels on that product for different customers. Save some money.
    That is a good point about Manufacturers offering different $ levels of a product, because we don't always care about buying the most expensive one. If your searching for something online and you want the best for the lowest price, try reading pro & customer reviews about a product. This is how I purchased my loudspeakers, I noticed a reviewer complimenting my speakers sound for how low their price was. I typed in the brand, found a local Store and listened to the spkrs. there and they are wonderful!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    I actually think there's NO definitive answer to this question. Just because "name" brands are stated is not an accurate way of assuming quality. All it proves is that advertising works. The mentioning of name brands also answers some anticipated questions but a leap from that to the assumption/conclusion of quality is purely subjective. If there is no standard of perfection against which something could be measured , all is opinion. There are standards and accepted standards. The former is like the Bureau of Weights and Measures and is indisputable. The latter is accepted by a preponderance of respected professional opinions in a specific field, more merit but still not indisputable.
    I remember as a small boy, just having come from Escanaba MI to Chicago, I saw an ad " Silvercup IS the BEST bread". I told my mother about that ad for FEAR she might not see it and buy a brand which was NOT the "best".

Mark
    Mark,
    I love ya brother! I stumbled around at it, then you hit it bang on the head!

You are THE MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by RS1
    Now Jacksters cork grip and fighting butt looks mighty fine, and it's the best he's ever seen. It looks like the best I've ever seen too (just by the photo). I don't know where he got it but I'm guessing it's not factory cork.
    That's the shocker! It IS a factory rod. My jaw dropped when I first took it out of the sock.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Yep looks like a mighty fine factory rod to me.... Do I dare say Winston B2x 7-12 wt

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster
    Quote Originally Posted by RS1
    That's the shocker! It IS a factory rod. My jaw dropped when I first took it out of the sock.

I have to tell you that rod is almost too pretty to fish! Please do tell us what make it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PaGuy
    Yep looks like a mighty fine factory rod to me.... Do I dare say Winston B2x 7-12 wt
    Bingo. 7 weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster
    Quote Originally Posted by PaGuy
    Bingo. 7 weight.
    I'll have to check my 8w BeeToo and see what that cork looks like.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

+ Reply to Thread