+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardy reels for use and history

Default Hardy reels for use and history

Been thinking for a while about getting an older Hardy (not too old, hopefully something made in the 80?s or earlier) to put on my 4 wt. I like the whole history of the reels, and I thought it would make a nice collection piece down the road.

I guess I'm looking for your guy's recommendations on what reel to get. Would like to keep it under $200. Thinking about the featherweight, but not too sure on their prices.

Can the Hardy reels be switched to left hand retrieve?

Anyone interested in selling or trading a Hardy? Have a 2 year old SA System 2L 4/5 with spare spool to throw in the trade?

bloom:

You can't go wrong with a Hardy Featherweight of even a Lightweight for a 4 weight but you may have a hard time finding one under $200 since they retail over $300. I would assume you are thinking of using it on a graphite rod?

All of the reels in the Lightweight series can be used right or left hand wind.

Good luck in your search.

I have a question for you trout fishers. Why do you go and spend 200 dollars on a reel only to "hand strip" the fish? Im not making fun or saying its stupid just an honest, serious question

Dear Ouchigan,

Probably for the same reason we spend many hundreds of dollars on a rod that does the job that a hickory switch could do.

Because we can works for me.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Ouchican:

Tim hit the nail on the head, we can. We have expensive toys. My other rods and reels are almost as expensive as the fly stuff. I have one reel that is worth about 300 with the line on it. I paid less for it and I would not sell it for twice what it is worth. I love the reel, but it came from someone near and dear to the Flats Dude. I pick up that reel and I feel a connection to the old owner. I have become friends with his wife, but have never met her. WE exchange e-mail. She has told me the stories of this man.

To me there is nothing like well made equipment. There are some reels and rods out there that while I would love to own them I just cannot afford them. But if I had the money I think I would have one heck of a collection.

Go and pick up a 35 dollar fly reel, run your fingers all over the reel feel the balance and the fit. Now handle a reel that is 100 dollars it will be a little better. Pick up an expensive reel and then it will be different. All of these reels will catch fish. But it has something to do with owning something you are proud of. I'll bet if you think about it you have something you are proud of. Could you have gotten by with something cheaper? another one of my "expensive" habits is pocket knives. The knife I carry in my pocket is worth around 100 dollars. Why because I love the feel of it. I use it every day, I keep it razor sharp. I take care of it. If my family were hungry I would sell the knife in a second. But it is not about the money, it is about the quality. I saved for a long time to buy my Gatti rod. I could have bought a 35 dollar rod and gotten by. But that Gatti is my favorite. It just feels good. I hope that this helped. I know it is not an easy question to answer but Tim did make it clear. Because I can.

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 04 August 2005).]

How about when you are 13 years old and makes less than that in a year!

Well can't argue with that logic!

------------------
    "From the Laid Back Lane in the Arkansas Ozarks"

I would get a featheweight, the flyweight is too small for my likings. You may be able to get a used hardy for $200 or less. If you are really stuck on the age thing for the reel, get one with 2 screws for the line gaurd. Those seem to be more prized in the hardy line.
    Bob

the hardy that will give you trouble is the perfect(I think they are well over 200 these days, but there is always hope for a good deal) as they can't be changed from the usual rt wind to left. the feather or lightweight are nice reels also though
    splinter

Bloom: Two good sites for Hardy featerweights for sale are this site and ebay. Also the Orvis CFO reel I believe is made by Hardy and is then given an Orvis dress. This can also be found at times on ebay for a reasonable price.

+ Reply to Thread