+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7wt vs 8wt

Default Re: 7wt vs 8wt

thanks for the comments guys.

im going to go for the 8wt. the 9wt I have is pretty much a cheap setup and so I dont want to have to rely on it too much.

though it may be a little heavy for some freshwater setups, what I really want it for is more of a saltwater rig...and I believe the 8wt is going to be better in that regard.

Thanks again,

Tim.

I don't believe you can just ask/say 7wt or 8wt, unless you're asking about the same model. There is just a huge difference between manufactureres and models. For instance a Sage 10wt Xi2 has a great deal more lifting power than a 10wt XP. A Scott S3S 6wt will drag a St. Croix LU around all day. Hell, that 6wt Scott has more lifting power in the butt than an 8wt XP. All are great rods, but their applications can be so different. If your "playing off" your current 9wt. and want to "drop down", I think you really need to check specific models to see what gets you the difference you're seeking.

All this talk about rods and fish fighting is interesting but not necessarily the deciding factor is choosing a rod size.

Other factors:

- size fly you are throwing
    - how far you want to throw said fly
    - wind - yes mentioned somewhat above

An 8 weight, in the hands of the same angler, will probably throw a bigger fly, and throw it bit farther than a 7 weight.

To the original poster . . . Consider fly size and casting distance also, rather than simply fish fighting power.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Wayne, the "other factors" you mention were the exact reasons why I choose the 8wt. I wanted the ability to cast larger flies a longer distance.

The initial information I was reading all pointed to "size of the fish". As I read more and more regarding choosing the correct rod for specific applications I learned that size of the fly and distance in casting go hand in hand with the weight of the fly line. Because of these factors I wanted to play it safe and get a higher weight rod.

I also read that the action of a fly rod has a big impact on casting length as well. So I choose a medium/fast action 8wt rod.

Thanks agin for all the posts.

5. Default Re: 7wt vs 8wt

Get a 8wt Temple Fork rod you will love it.

Fishing the second biggest estuary south, the size of the flies should make your decision easy. A #7 has a range of fly sizes from #6-#16, an #8 from #4-#14, a #9 from #1/0-#10. The best one rod for flats, mangroves, beach & freshwater would be an #8, even though for summer snook on the beach I tend to take the #6 weight & overline it with a WF-I #7 ( for #2 flies ), but most of the fly fishing here is best done with the #9 weight. Most of the flies tied for casting are on #1/0,1 & 2 hooks & except for the #3/0 tarpon flies ( for those #10,11 & 12/13 weights), winter fishing & freshwater where a #4 or #5 weight works better for the crappie & some bass with most of the flies size #8's. Just like boat choices.....what are you going to be using the rod for 90% of the time ?

Ultra fast 7wt rod uploaded with 8 weight lines is my choice. I can cast through the winds with heavy flies with just 2 back-casts.

+ Reply to Thread