+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Un-helpful tips

Default Re: Un-helpful tips

I only put cement down first on two flies. The first is on a cork ant fly because the middle section (a piece of heavy leader connecting two pieces of cork) is tied down to a short length of base and if I don't cement it sometime will twist around the hook. (Once I had a hard day not getting hookups but when I pulled in the fly to inspect it I found the body had twisted around and was laying up against the bend of the hook - no way a fish could get hooked.) I also use cement on the bend of the hook to hold the flashabo tag on the Red Squirrel Tail nymph. Other than that I start at the eye, then holding the tag line firmly to the side I wrap the thread very neatly (the tensioned tag lays down each wrap next to the last one) and quickly back to the bend.

Cement, cement, glue, nail polish etc... I hate when the fly comes apart...

I've just retired a size 14 pheasant tail beadhead nymph. I used it on weekend outings for two and a half months... Yup the same one.
    Must've caught 60 to 80 fish on that one... Finally two weeks ago a 16 inch bow got a really good hold on it with it's teeth. Can't really complain about that one.

Anyway with cold moths coming I will be returning to the vise. You might want to invest some money in a certain brach of adhesive indusrty...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikieFinn
    Cement, cement, glue, nail polish etc... I hate when the fly comes apart...

I've just retired a size 14 pheasant tail beadhead nymph. I used it on weekend outings for two and a half months... Yup the same one.
    Must've caught 60 to 80 fish on that one... Finally two weeks ago a 16 inch bow got a really good hold on it with it's teeth. Can't really complain about that one.

Anyway with cold moths coming I will be returning to the vise. You might want to invest some money in a certain brach of adhesive indusrty...
    Lol, I have a Olive Woolly Bugger in my fly box right now that has been with me for the last three outings and has 40 or so fish on it. I have never had a fly slip since that one batch.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread