+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Virginia/Virginia

Default West Virginia/Virginia

In order for my inlaws to get me to visit they have offered to rent a RV or a cabin within a reasonable distance of Winchester, VA. So I am looking for suggestions of possible places to with good fly fishing water we can camp or rent a place nearby. One of the places I found was Blackwater Falls State Park in WV. All suggestions would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: West Virginia/Virginia

You could take a look at the below website. They have a number of links to various resources in Virginia and West Virginia.

http://virginiaonthefly.com/

Good fishing,

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Blog Entries

well, sadly around here there are not alot of trout streams, but we do have a lot of lakes and ponds. you shouldnt have a problem finding a good spot, just take a peep at the map of winchester and youll probably find 2-3 ponds or lakes within a thirty minute drive. from where ive gone around here, its pretty much like that everywhere in VA. im not a very good map person, but ill go try and find some good places for you

Check out this site too.

http://www.mountaineerflies.com/

I have family in that neck of the woods and never knew that they had such great fishing. I can't wait to get back.

ED

From Winchester, you are within easy reach of some fine brook trout fishing - and some downright breathtaking scenery - inside Shenandoah National Park. With some luck, we'll get rain and/or snow within the coming weeks to get thestreams back up after this summer's shortage of precip.

Still, there are a few places that are holding up well.

PM me if you like!

Marty

Wow. Thanks for all the great replies. Let me ask this question, if you could go anywhere within 2-3 hours from Winchester, VA, where would you go? We won't actually be staying in Winchester it is just a starting off point. Also, what time of year would be the best time to go, the best time for me would be early Oct.

Stop in Harry Murrays' fly shop in Edinburgh ( ? ), about 1/2 hour south off I-81. His books will get you info of the streams in the area. The Shenandoah might be too cold for smallmouth fishing, so all the feeder creeks will be the best choices for trout fishing.

Now you've really opened a can of worms (in this case a positive problem). You could just as easily head to the North Branch of the Potomac and the Savage River (both headwaters and tailwater) in western MD. That is the best time of year to hit both those streams. Plus, with the Savage River headwaters, anything that feeds it has native brookies (as do the headwaters proper and the tailwater). The browns in both rivers will be preparing to spawn but will still be several weeks out from spawning so no need to worry about disrupting their dance.

Also consider the Elk in WV and some of the magnificent streams that way that have large browns and brookies if trout are your intended quarry.

Marty

The Shenandoas would be MUCH closer than Blackwater Falls area. Rt 50 may look like a nice shot to the Davis area but it is one loooooooooooooooooooooong and wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinding road . Lots of fun to drive but it would take half a day just to get there.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Taking all options into account - if you're after trout, that is - Shenandoah NP would be THE ticket. There are scores of waterways that have native brookies. At that time of year they might be spawning, but you can head higher or lower on the mountain and find fish that aren't busy makin' babies.

A short 2-4 wt rod is perfect (7'6" or less), and have an arsenal of small fluffy attractor dries such as EH caddis, wulffs, stimis, ants, beetles, etc. I'd be happy to show you some wonderful spots inside and outside the Park - some where you'll find more 4-6" brookies than you could ever imagine, and some where you'll catch more 8-10" brookies than you thought existed in one stream.

Marty

+ Reply to Thread