+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New SA Sharkskin line

Default Re: New SA Sharkskin line

Thanks guys, that's exactly the info I was looking for. If anyone else has anything to add, keep it coming. A lot of what you guys are seeing jibes with my experience, but it's good to have the confirmation.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I prefer those brightly colored lines,,, pink, yellow, anything these tired old eyes can see better. Especially if a guy is watching the tip of his line.

I have two SA lines and I don't like them for the simple reason that they give line burns. I also have AirFlo. I get them at guide price which is less than whole sale. The only problem with it is that on windy days when your tippit blows around the line, it can cut the outer coating of the line.

I just bought the SS today in the 4 wt and just got back from the casting ponds comparing it against my tried and true SA GPX 4 wt. What a difference! The line just shot through the guides. The effort I placed at casting distances of 20 to 40 feet was extended by 6 to 12 feet (approx.). I suspect once I get in sync with my new rod I should do even better. I did not try a double haul with the SS yet, but I suspect it will add distance as well.

From some of the posts I have read about the sound the line make going through the guide I was expecting to hear fingernails on a chalkboard, but the sound is minimal and I don't mind it at all.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly
    From some of the posts I have read about the sound the line make going through the guide I was expecting to hear fingernails on a chalkboard, but the sound is minimal and I don't mind it at all.
    Something tells me if these lines cost $40 nobody would hear a thing...

Think about this a sec, I first 'tried out' the SA line in a casting pond using a QC 6wt quad! What a thrill!

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Think about this a sec, I first 'tried out' the SA line in a casting pond using a QC 6wt quad! What a thrill!

JC,

You are such a tease.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I didn't put my two cents in before because I wanted fresh opinions rather than an agree/disagree debate. Thanks to everyone that chimed in!!

Here's my take on the SS:

I tried it on the Scierra IC3 905 and the Sage VT2 905. I found it loaded better on the softer rod, but it was fine on both. It didn't add 20 feet to my cast, but I can already throw more line on my favorite rods than I'll ever fish. What I did appreciate was how nice it comes off the water and it took much less effort to shoot a decent amount of line than my current lines. The microtexture does cause it to "sing" through the guides, which annoyed me at first. However, I got used to it fairly quickly and it's no louder than the Ridge Lines I've used. What also impressed me is the flexibility and low memory of the line. It does seem to pick up dirt a little easier than I expected it to do, but it cleans up easily enough with just a dry cleaning pad.

Overall: I didn't find it to be the miracle line the literature hyped it to be, but it's definitely a big step above the Mastery lines without the texturing. I've got a couple lines slated for replacement this year, so I'll probably be getting at least one of these in the near future.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

REE,
    Thank you, for the take on the S.S.'s "Blue Heron" color, when on the water. I've only cast and fished the brighter color of the two.

Bluegill; Thank you, for a really good run down and opinion on the line that you've experienced so far too.
    Still "knock'n it around", to add one to the arsenal or not and reports like yours, as well as all the other ones, help a lot!
    Paul
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread