+ Reply to Thread

Thread: does monofilament line decompose?

Blog Entries

Default does monofilament line decompose?

in one of my favorite fishing spots, whenever i wade through it, im always walking through all the spinfishermans lines from where they broke their line on snags. sometimes i gets hard to walk throught there because some of them use 30-40 pound test line so i have to push really hard to get throught there to break through the lines. and so i was wondering. does monofilament fishing line ever deompose? if not completely then at least to some extent? it would be absurd to try and gather up all the line to throw it away, but i really dont want it to end up building up and littering the lake.
    thanks for any info

Default Re: does monofilament line decompose?

It does not decompose, ever. I took two, 5 gal. sacks packed tightly from years of saving to a local lake where they have a recycling spot for fishing line.

Berkly will also take it back and recycle it and make fish structure out of it.

Hope this helps a little.
    Steve

Monofilament does decompose. It only takes about 600 years.

jed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rookie
    It does not decompose, ever. I took two, 5 gal. sacks packed tightly from years of saving to a local lake where they have a recycling spot for fishing line.

Berkly will also take it back and recycle it and make fish structure out of it.

Hope this helps a little.
    i doubt we have a line recycling place around here so ill probably just try to use it for as many flies as possible

Blog Entries

It has a 1/2 life of about a 1000 years. However if you leave it out in the sun it will become too brittle to be of any use. Never buy mono that is in or near a window in the flyshop.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Here's what you might want to do... Get with your local StreamTeam folks and help them set up some of these...

These are located within some of the Missouri trout parks and they make a world of difference.

Also, read this PDF file for more info...

http://www.mostreamteam.org/Document...tRecycling.pdf

Pay particular attention to step #5. It gives the instructions/address to send the mono for recycling.

It's important that someone takes initiative to get the mono off the ground and out of the trees. It can save a life. I found a dead gosling that had gotten a leg tangled in about 75 feet of 30 lb. test mono one time, very frustrating to say the least. Sure, there are plenty of geese flying around here, but I'd rather not replace the geese with trash.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

What a great idea.. now if they would make one for beer cans too!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

No. For all real purposes it never decomposes. niether do plastic beer & pop can things, or styrofoam worm things..........................M.D.
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Quote Originally Posted by MOturkE
    Here's what you might want to do... Get with your local StreamTeam folks and help them set up some of these...

These are located within some of the Missouri trout parks and they make a world of difference.

Also, read this PDF file for more info...

http://www.mostreamteam.org/Document...tRecycling.pdf

Pay particular attention to step #5. It gives the instructions/address to send the mono for recycling.

It's important that someone takes initiative to get the mono off the ground and out of the trees. It can save a life. I found a dead gosling that had gotten a leg tangled in about 75 feet of 30 lb. test mono one time, very frustrating to say the least. Sure, there are plenty of geese flying around here, but I'd rather not replace the geese with trash.

Great post !!!!

I have been using these since they have been installed. "There GREAT." I no longer have too clean those discarded lines out of my Gear box after a week or month of fishing. You all know those lines with all the free tree ornaments (lures/flies)attached to them. I collect all that I happen across but those shinny ones are especilly hard to pass up.
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

+ Reply to Thread