+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unidentified Fly

Default Unidentified Fly

Last November while fishing for big browns and steelhead near Rochester the guy on the river who caught the most fish was using this fly that I cannot identify or find. Hopefully someone here knows of it. It was built on an 8x long hook and was basically just wrapped with real smooth dubbing and then wrapped with hackle. If you looked at on one end it was brown, from the other end it flashed tan. It sorta looked like a super-long wooly bugger with no tail. He gave my buddy one of his, but it got lost. Does anybody know what this thing is? I'm not going to stop until I figure out what it was and how to tie it....

Thanks for your help.
    Hunter

Default Re: Unidentified Fly

Maybe a really long crackleback?

Thanks! I couldn't think of the name of that fly. My guess exactly! The crackleback is also effective both above and below the surface.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

That might be it. I'll look up the crackleback to see how it is tied. Maybe it was his variation of the crackleback...

Thanks,
    Hunter

Yup, that's gotta be it...You guys got it, I'll bet this guy knew Barry Bonds and injected a crackeback with some of that stuff he was using.... I gotta get me some of that!!

Thanks a million!!

Hunter

Blog Entries

Tip next time you are in that situation , take a pic of the fly or don't fish it til you can copy it.

It took me over a year to reproduce a simple Elk Hair Caddis for my brother in law because he didn't know the name of it and is a lousy describer.
    One day I was tieing some and he happened by . He said that's it thats it! then accused me of trying to keep it from him. So I didn't give him any lol.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread