+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weighting nymphs

Default Weighting nymphs

Anyone care to share their opinions on weighting nymphs? I've had people tell me that wrapping lead on a hook causes the fly to move unnaturally. I've used some lead on nymphs and I really don't notice the difference.

Default Re: Weighting nymphs

lastchance,

You will get opinions both ways on this, but, I weight my nymphs with wire on the hook shank prior to covering it with the body material and I have had no problems with this and they do catch fish for me. Where you position the weight on the hook shank will give the fly a different "swimming" motion. For instance, if you weight the front it will give the fly a "head down" fall and "head up" rise. If you weight the rear of the hook the opposite happens which is similiar to the motion of a leech and if you weight the center of the the hook it will rise and fall more on the horizontal which is how I weight my steamers and buggers which I feel represents a minnow motion in moving water.

The above is just my way and what is working for me here....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hey Warren: The way I understand it is that fish have just a split second in moving water to grab food so I can't see how they can determine if a nymph is floating the way it should. Also, those Czech nymphs are heavily weighted to get down in the pocket water fast.
    Thanks for your opinion.

I am tying up a batch of nymphs right now and I am weighting them on the center of the hook shank. I find that this keeps them in the column of the water where I want them to be. They seem to swim in an even a straight manner for me. Just my 2 cents. Hope this might help. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Hey Bassman: I weight mine in the thorax area if they are flathead clinger or crawler-type nymphs. I don't weight them all because if I'm fishing real skinny water they may be too heavy.

Blog Entries

I really like to use beadheads.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well, Bro., I weight some with lead wire along the hook body under everything else if, like the other guys said I want to get 'em right on down. I do like the beadhead method, though, it seems to do very well. I think that bit of shine does some eyecatching. I don't know about natural or unnatural look under water. like was said, they don't take long to decide. They don't hang on long either before they decide it aint what they thought it was, so you gotta be on yer game to score. In slow or shallow runs, lead wraps will often be a little too much on anything bigger than about size 8 or 10 flies, and then I usually catch quite a bit of bottom .......................................ModocDan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Blog Entries

Well I guess I will elaborate on my previous simple post....
    I fish stillwater, I mostly use the black colored beads, Because they look more natural than a gold ball at the front of your nymph. Sometimes though, I use gold or silver beads on my nymphs because I want the attraction( Dingy water, tough days etc..)

And since I fish stillwater the fish can take their sweet time to decide whether or not they want the fly I'm presenting to them....It's not like in a small stream where the fish will pounce on a lot of things because that might be there only chance to eat that day.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

I weight many of mine, but I usually use a bead head that is for a hook about 4 sizes smaller.
    I fish ponds mainly and I want the flies to drop very slowly.
    I have tied the bead in on the cente rof the hook on some of the patterns, but they do not seemto work any better than those tied at the eye of the hook.
    I also have several tied with different color glass beads.

Rick

Blog Entries

Sometimes I use ultra wire under the body of a fly to weight it. Ultra wire can be found in very thin (lightweight) sizes. Another advantage is the number of colors. This means that you can often use a wire that is similar to the body over it. This is a worthwhile consideration for when flies become a bit worn through use.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread