+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some casting help please

nighthawk Guest

Default Need some casting help please

I finally got to feeling good enough to get out on the lake today for a few hours. Haven't been able to practice my casting and it is showing. I don't know what I am doing wrong here, perhaps something in the mechanics of my stroke, perhaps something mental, maybe both. I noticed that while casting my rocket taper 5wt line on a 6'6" fiberglass rod that the loop on my forward cast was closing up. Not completley but getting petty close. When I put the same line on my 9' 5/6wt graphite now the loop is closing completely. On a couple of cast I actually got my tippet wrapped around the forward taper of the fly line.

For some reason I didn't check the loop on my back cast but I could hear my fly popping. Ok, I figured I am not giving the line enough time to straighten out and load the rod on the back stroke. So I slow my timing down. No more popping but the front loop still closed and only putting out about 50-60 foot casts instead of 70-80+ foot casts. I throw a lot of DT lines on my rods and usually can cast into the backing which is shorter than a WF line. Even so I usually throw nice 70-80+ casts with my WF lines. The only other variable is that I don't use the rod I used today very much. That may be huge as I may not be accustomed to it's action.

Probably a combination of these things?

Any advice and thoughts would be most appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need some casting help please

Sounds to me like your stroke was to compact...?

Open up the stroke to get wider loops if you want them,But if you can get them tight and not wrap itself up then you are doing good.

As for the popping, wait for the line to straighten on the back cast.

Theres my assessment.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

I would also guess that you are applying too much force and too soon in the cast. This usually knocks the 'knees' out from under the rod and causes the tip/mid to bend back too low on the cast. Apply a little less, yet smoother power to the rod. You should feel it load almost to the handle. Let the rod drive the line at the end of the rod, with a firm stop, don't try to do it yourself by forcing it.

Slow down the front stroke>> a closed loop is not necessarily always a bad thing depending if it is
    collapsing or not, hopefully not.. It can scare fish if it is directed down to the water
    at this hi line speed when it lands.

I find myself some times looking more like a right angle rather than a candy loop.
    This happens on my 3wg when I haul hard on the front stroke and line speed goes hyper sphere.
    This is one great feeling wish I could do it on command more often. I like to keep it high
    and let it fall to the water or the fish will spoke as mentioned above..

Try slowing down with a quick stop not overpowering , you know feeling.. boy what a feeling too!

Take care

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

There are so many explanations to this. Some will say concave rod path, some will say other stuff. But the simple answer is:

Too much, too early, too little, too late.

You already said you were snapping - good symptom of starting the forward cast too soon. You are probably starting too hard and stopping soft and high.

I think Joan Wulff talks about flipping a big spider off the end of the rod. If you start too early and too hard, the spider will fall off on your head. But if you start slow and increase your velocity to a sharp stop, the spider will flick off towards the target.

Get someone to watch. In the mean time you can open up your loop by stopping later - like 2:00 instead of 1:00. This will force your loop open until you can regain your timing. Changing from a stiff to a softer rod will sometimes percipitate this problem. Screws up your timing. Just slow down that early part of the cast with the slower rod. You will get it back.

But then, you probably know all this already and I am just talking to myself.

Godspeed,

Bob Bolton

Eric;
    Are you "Creeping" during the backcast? Letting your casting arm drift froward while waiting for the rod to load. I had this problem awhile back and my casting instructor saw that I was over powering the forecast by snapping into it and not building power as I came forward. This is hard for a so so caster to explain Eric. The forecast should build power as you make it, if you snap it you get a lot of wind knots. I rembember telling him that's how I count my fish!!
    I was throwing a punch on my forecast instead of accelerating the cast.
    I have a friend down here that is a certified casting instructor and anytime I need help I just call.

Bob said it better than I did!!

Eric,

So I slow my timing down. No more popping
    You are an experienced caster not a novice so I do believe your solution lies solely with the front and rear stroke as it applies to line speed.

I have studied this with my own casting. I try all the time to achieve this very
    thing with control... to my great pleasure it brings me the most satisfaction as far as
    the feel and appearance of a fine cast.

Then again I could be all wet!

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Eric,

Since this is not your usual rod, I would start out with shorter casts until you get to know the rod's tempo and then let it fly.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly
    Eric,

Since this is not your usual rod, I would start out with shorter casts until you get to know the rod's tempo and then let it fly.
    Nice use of a pun!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread